tanning bed problems

Old 06-20-11, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tanning bed problems

HI, This is my first post here so Hi to everyone. My main skills are machinist/welder/mechanic but I am not so good with electrical issues. I am working on a 24 bulb tanning bed where 2 bulbs will not light. They were all working and then the bed was moved in the back of a pickup and some of the lamp holders on the top section broke where they clip to the top and so I replaced all of them. Now two of the bulbs will not light. I have tried swapping bulbs, starters, ballasts, even the bulb holders and still the same two will not come on. I scrapped the wires where they fit into the holders to make sure they were making contact. They do show some light on the ends but do not come on completely. I have checked continuity from the ballast to the light holder and from one holder to the other and the ground and all that checks out. This completely stumps me. Anyone have any idea what else to check? TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-11, 07:06 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Moved from Lighting. May get a quicker response here.

Old 06-21-11, 07:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 69 Votes on 61 Posts
Since you have swapped known working parts and they don't work in that location, I suggest looking for loose wire connections

Old 06-21-11, 09:20 PM
Are these the old preheat style lamps? The glowing ends tells me they are preheating but the starter is not opening the circut.

Old 06-22-11, 07:02 AM
It doesn't seem to be a starter problem as I swapped starters from bulbs that do light and that didn't help. The wire connections are the ones that just push in and I have cleaned all of the wire ends to help make sure they are making contact. Swapping the lamp holders didn't help as I thought maybe they weren't making connection there. Next is to install new wires I guess.

Old 06-22-11, 11:18 AM
When the lamps start to glow, disconnect the wires from the starter socket.

Old 06-22-11, 05:23 PM
Received 40 Votes on 32 Posts
It doesn't seem to be a starter problem as I swapped starters from bulbs that do light and that didn't help.
Starters are cheap, I'd replace them all.

Old 06-22-11, 08:52 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
When the lamps start to glow, disconnect the wires from the starter socket.
???? The lamp holder and starter mount are all one piece. How would I disconnect the wires from just the starter? The starters are not very old. Any of the starters will start any of the other bulbs in the other locations , just not the ones in these two particular places.

Old 06-23-11, 08:53 AM
???? The lamp holder and starter mount are all one piece. How would I disconnect the wires from just the starter? The starters are not very old. Any of the starters will start any of the other bulbs in the other locations , just not the ones in these two particular places
There should be a wire going between the starter holder and the other socket that the starter holder is not being supported by/attatched to. Disconnect that.

Old 06-30-11, 08:54 AM
There is a wire coming from the ballast and going to the lamp/starter holder, then a wire going from the other contact of that holder to the holder on the other end of the bulb. The other contact on the non-starter lamp holder goes to ground. Are you saying to disconnect the wire that goes between the two lamp holders? Do I do that while the unit is plugged in and turned on? Can that be done with out giving me a shock? The wires just push into the lamp holders and you have to push on the release tab to remove the wire.