Desire to add new outlet to bathroom

Old 06-21-11, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Desire to add new outlet to bathroom

Hi,

I was hoping you might be able to offer some insight as I would like to add another outlet to my bathroom.

My current configuration in the bathroom is:
- 20 amp dedicated circuit running power into GFCI
- GFCI has all fixtures running off of it
- Fixtures include 3 can lights and a vent fan

I have a few specific questions, but anything else I am not addressing which is important for me to know is much appreciated!

1. Does the additional outlet need to be or should it be a GFCI?
2. I anticipate to add this outlet, I should pigtail off of the Load side of my GFCI to run power to it? Would this be both wires from the load side?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Marty

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-11, 09:45 PM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
I would say it somewhat depends upon why you want the extra receptacle. If it is mainly so that you may leave your electric toothbrush and razor plugged in then yes, all you need to do is wire it to the LOAD side of the existing GFCI receptacle. On the other hand, if you want to use it to plug in a space heater along with using an electric curling iron or blow dryer then you may need a completely new circuit from the circuit breaker panel.

Old 06-22-11, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the reply. The receptical would not be used to carry a large load like a space heater, but rather for a blow dryer or electric razor as you mention.

If this is the case, does it need to be a GFCI receptical too?

Thanks again!

Old 06-22-11, 06:55 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Blow Dryer

What is the amperage rating of the blow dryer?

Old 06-22-11, 07:10 AM
I believe it is 10-12 amps. If this new receptical was a GFCI, would it trip independent of the existing GFCI or is that not even needed since the new would be connected to a GFCI and thus be protected?

Thanks

Old 06-22-11, 07:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 52 Votes on 49 Posts
The new receptacle does need GFCI protection but that can be achieved by coming off the load side of your current receptacle, as Furd said.

Old 06-22-11, 11:49 AM
My mom's hairdryer uses 1420VA or so says my kill-a -watt. So almost 12A

Old 06-22-11, 01:20 PM
Why do you need the extra outlet? What is plugged into the current one?

Old 06-23-11, 06:29 AM
The extra outlet is not necessarily needed, but rather desired. The bathroom is fairly large (10'12), and I only installed the one GFCI next to the sink (hindsite 20/20, I would have planned 2 of them). Also, since I had to tear out the adjacent bedroom closet to access my main for the underground plumbing, before I entirely rebuild it, I have the opportunity to have rear access to a bathroom wall, allowing me to easily add it.

My wife is looking to put a makeup table or something on this side of the room, so anything that might be used there could potentially be plugged in???

I see where some of the questions are going in terms of potentially exceeding the 20amp circuit, but I don't think there would be a situation where both outlets are used at the same time. Assuming a 12-amp hairdryer, and three recessed lights at the same time, that wouldn't be above 20, would it?

Thanks again for all of the thoughts/questions to ensure I am doing this correctly!!

Old 06-23-11, 06:46 AM
I'm no expert, but I think recent code calls for the lighting to be separate from the outlet circuits in the bathroom. With that said, if you don't foresee both outlets having two hair driers plugged in, I don't see why anything would be different than from how it has always been used. However, given that you have the wall open now, it may just be easier to run an additional circuit now. I would probably put the lights on their own circuit and have the outlets together on another.

Old 06-23-11, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by drooplug View Post
I'm no expert, but I think recent code calls for the lighting to be separate from the outlet circuits in the bathroom.
That is only if a circuit powers multiple bathrooms. Powering a single bathroom, one 20A circuit is allowed for all lights, fans and receptacles in that bathroom.

Based on the code you do not require a second 20A circuit for the makeup table, but you could add it if you wanted to. It is probably not necessary unless you know that multiple irons, dryers, and so forth will be used at the same time. They should probably just change the code to require as many circuits as you have wives and daughters.

Old 06-23-11, 11:39 AM
Received 33 Votes on 25 Posts
They should probably just change the code to require as many circuits as you have wives and daughters.
With all the electrically heated items women use in the bathroom that would be an excellent idea, although hardly enforceable.

Old 06-23-11, 12:23 PM
They should probably just change the code to require as many circuits as you have wives and daughters.
Sounds Good to me!