Please tell me if my wiring is right

Old 06-23-11, 06:10 AM
Please tell me if my wiring is right

Below is my humble diagram showing how i connected an external socket
to my bathroom which has only a light switch and a simple lightbulb housing
with a bulb.

The socket is switched on or off by the light switch (personal reasons...)

The red circles indicates which are the new connections.

Please tell me if it looks right to you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-11, 06:57 AM
Group Moderator
Electrically what you plan to do would work. This is mostly a North American site. I can't advise you on your local codes but by US codes it would be OK.

Old 06-26-11, 02:50 PM
Is there a reason why it should be different in other countries except for voltage differences?

Old 06-26-11, 03:34 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by roig12 View Post
Is there a reason why it should be different in other countries except for voltage differences?
Not usually but there can be differences.

Old 06-26-11, 11:53 PM
I just hope that you are aware that the power socket do required to be RCD protected circuit so therefore do you have RCD breaker or RCCO RCD breaker ?

One of the two will work and also just be aware with conductor colour codes

If you have Bleu that is typically used with netural { the old UK colour was used to be black for netural while red is hot or active coductor }

Brown is typically used for active nowdays.

Merci,
Marc

Old 06-27-11, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by french277V View Post
I just hope that you are aware that the power socket do required to be RCD protected circuit so therefore do you have RCD breaker or RCCO RCD breaker ?

One of the two will work and also just be aware with conductor colour codes

If you have Bleu that is typically used with netural { the old UK colour was used to be black for netural while red is hot or active coductor }

Brown is typically used for active nowdays.

Merci,
Marc
I am aware of the color codes in here (blue is neutral, brown hot, yellow and green together for ground).

What is exactly the RCD breaker? why can't i just connect the wires like in my diagram?

Old 06-27-11, 03:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
RCD means "residual current device" which is a type of breaker to help prevent electric shocks. In your area it may go by a different name: RCD, GFCI, RCBO, RCCB, ELCB are all names which it might go by. This type of breaker is required in some countries so check your local regulations.

The wire connections as pictured are correct. Most places have a law that requires the breaker to be updated to modern standards when any part of the wiring is modified. Check local regulations about this part.

Old 06-27-11, 03:17 PM
I just googled "rcd breaker" and noticed that its the set of switched outside my apartment which
drop incase of overload etc. So if the wires that i "pulled" the electricity from are connected to
the apartment's rcd breaker, then my new socket should be protected too right?

Old 06-27-11, 03:57 PM
Group Moderator
The RCD portion does not drop from an overload. It drops from an imbalance between the ungrounded conductor and the grounded conductor. It would be the breaker portion that drops from overload.

Old 06-27-11, 11:35 PM
I do not know if any laws do apply in your area but did you talk to the landlord or manger to see if they allow any change in the wiring in the apartment?

I know in USA/ Canada it not allowed that have to be done by electrician or landlord living in that building { very limited can be done due most state will say no }

In France it have to be done by electrician no question asked.

The reason why you mention bathroom that why it have to be on RCD for safety issue I do not have direct rules on that location where you live but I feel that basised on UK 16th Regulations so it will be automatique RCD no extempts on that one.

Merci,
Marc

Old 06-28-11, 09:22 AM
In here we don't have a landlord or anything like that.

It is always recommended to have an electrition do the work, but it's not the law.

Im guessing, if the socket is on the same line as the bathroom's light, then it is connected
to the rcd with it (common sense).

Thanks for everything,
Roi.