wiring question

Old 06-24-11, 06:26 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wiring question

Good morning

I'm in the process of wiring 2 X 220v circuits to the outside of my house rated at 9 amps max each for two heat pumps and have a couple questions.

I'm going to use 14/2 for each run from the breaker panel to the outside but that is where the questions start. What kind of junction or box do I use to transfer from inside the house on nmd90 to outside tech cable? Would it be better to install a junction box inside the house to transfer? (that would look better on the outside)

Also because the tech cable will be exposed can I transfer the two runs to a 14/4 tech cable instead of 2 14/2 cables? From my thinking that should be fine as long as sharing the ground is an acceptable practice.

From there I'll go to the outside disconnect boxes beside the pumps. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the outside disconnect boxes are good to go from inside wire to outside. Another thought I had was just to use those at my inside/outside point. The only problem is that will be about 15 feet away from the heat pumps. There is clear line of sight though.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Moderators Addendum: Note the correct term is TECK cable. While legal in the US it is primarily used in Canada.

Last edited by ray2047; 06-24-11 at 08:26 AM. Reason: Correct terminology.
Old 06-24-11, 07:57 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What's tech cable?

Yes, you can use the disconnect to transfer between the 14-2 and the outside wiring.

Old 06-24-11, 08:13 AM
E
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would check your local and Provincial Hydro codes regarding wire size and even color. You can't send power through a white neutral conductor for one thing using 110v indoor wiring and will likely need to use the red sheathing colored cable with red and black conductors that designate it as 220 even though the conductors maybe the same size. I don't think they allow just black taping the white neutral wire anymore either. You may also need to use 12/2 but check with the local code requirements around unit wattage and wire size. I think you also will require a water proof box with a cutoff switch closer to the pumps than 15' but that also will be spelled out in the local codes and what the local inspectors are looking for. I can imagine that with potential winter snow buildup affecting quick access they would want the cutoffs adjacent. Are you planning on obtaining a permit for this work? At least if you do, and you already know it is technically required, you will also know from the local permit office what the inspector will probably be looking for to approve it.

Old 06-24-11, 08:28 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
All please note the poster is in Canada. The O/P means TECK cable.

Old 06-24-11, 10:33 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tha_dub
Would it be better to install a junction box inside the house to transfer? (that would look better on the outside)
Either way is okay as long as the j-box is accessible (not buried under drywall, paneling, etc) and the cable is protected from damage. If you have a good spot for it I would make the junctions indoors.

Also because the tech cable will be exposed can I transfer the two runs to a 14/4 tech cable instead of 2 14/2 cables? From my thinking that should be fine as long as sharing the ground is an acceptable practice.
You can do it (with appropriate remarking of wire colors), but in my opinion it adds unnecessary complexity to what would otherwise be a pretty straightforward installation.

I think the outside disconnect boxes are good to go from inside wire to outside. Another thought I had was just to use those at my inside/outside point.
That would be a good option too.

The only problem is that will be about 15 feet away from the heat pumps. There is clear line of sight though.
Should be no problem. Make sure the TECK is installed such that it is protected from damage over the 15' span and also not a tripping hazard, etc.

Old 06-24-11, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I have to ask....
9A seems really low...could you tell us what models they are? Might be something I'd be interested in for my garage. Way less than a window A/C and not too much more than my swamp cooler.

Old 06-24-11, 11:37 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for all the info everyone!

Yes Teck cable is legal and commonly used in Canada. I know the code here for using the white wire on a standard 14/2 run is to color/tape the wire at every junction either red or black so the next guy knows it's hot.

The heat pump is a Shinco Shinco.us

It's not a big brand name but the customer reviews are okay and the price is really good.

I'm going to mull things over I think. Ideally I'd just tear off drywall and put the wire in the walls but that is a ton more work.

I'll post back on my results with this whole thing.

D

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: