rookie needs help

Old 06-26-11, 08:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rookie needs help

doing kitchen remodel. installed gfi which feeds 1 other wall plug and my under cabinet lights which i have put on dimmer. ran additional line from panel box which will power dishwasher and small overhead track light. all three switches are in 3 gang box.

gfi is correctly wired and tests out correctly and additional wall plug works.

when i wired the dimmer there was not enough ground wire to hook to line feeding the gfi so i just left off for the time being. w/o the ground i have no power to cabinet lighting. if i touch the side of dimmer im now the ground and it powers up

i went for the easy fix and just ran the ground wire from the dimmer to new line which powers the dishwasher. everything works but buddy who is more knowable says its not the way to go.

help and thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-11, 08:29 AM
Received 33 Votes on 30 Posts
Hi rookie, I'm not one of the pros on electrical, but a question. Are talking about the bare copper ground or the white neutral?

Bud

Old 06-26-11, 09:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The bare or green ground plays no part in the proper operation of a circuit. It is used only under a short circuit or fault condition.

Perhaps you can tell the number of cables and the connections you made and someone can help figure this out.