Outlet wiring question

Old 06-26-11, 05:12 PM
Outlet wiring question

Situation: would like to wire in 4 new outlets. Will be using 14/2 on 15A braker. Outlets, except the last one in circuit, will have 3 ground wires in each box (metal): incoming, outgoing and to the outlet. There are 2 ground screws in each box.

Am I required to loop incoming ground (bare) on the 1st ground screw and without cutting it pigtail it to the outgoing ground wire, while using 2nd ground screw for the gound connection to the outlet? Or...can I loop incoming ground around 1st ground screw and cut it, then attach outgoing ground to the same ground screw as incoming, and attach the ground going to the outlet on the 2nd ground screw? What is the proper way to gound an outlet that is in the middlde of the circuit? Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-11, 05:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't answer as far as the CEC is concerned, but, under the NEC in the US all the grounds need to be spliced together and bonded to the box. Only one would need to hit the box screw. The splice would take care of the others. Only one wire under a screw.

Old 06-26-11, 06:00 PM
Group Moderator
You may have only one wire per one screw, no exceptions. I suggest wrapping one of the incoming or outgoing grounds around the ground screw in the metal box and leave it long enough to connect the other ground wires, including the pigtail from the "outlet", to it with a wirenut.

Or, connect either the incoming or outgoing ground to the box as above and then use a green wirenut (Greenie) to splice the grounds together and leave one long enough to make your pigtail to the outlet.

Old 06-27-11, 04:11 PM
Thanks guys!
I am in Canada, Ontario, so CEC applies but I am sure it is the same when it comes to this basic stuff. One other questions. What about the white neutral wires? I asked around today and one gentlemen suggested that I have to splice and pigtail them too? I have duplex, not split outlets and they have two screws for nuetrals, so I hooked up incoming to one screw and outgoing to the other screw, is this acceptable? Do the outlets in the basement have to tamperproof?

Old 06-27-11, 04:50 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by molsonbubba View Post
I have duplex, not split outlets and they have two screws for nuetrals, so I hooked up incoming to one screw and outgoing to the other screw, is this acceptable?
Hooking one wire to each screw is acceptable. I, however, like to pigtail it. That way you you not rely on the device for your connection.

Originally Posted by molsonbubba View Post
Do the outlets in the basement have to tamperproof?
Per NEC code they must be tamper resistant. If the basement is unfinished, they are also required to be GFCI protected.

Old 06-29-11, 04:15 AM
Thanks Tolyn. What about the boxes for light switches. Am I required to have only one ground wire per ground screw, or this rule applies only to outlets?

Old 06-29-11, 07:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The one wire per screw is regardless of the device type.

Old 06-29-11, 10:22 AM
If you are building a laundry room with wash tub and recepticle or a bathroom in your basement they should be GFCI protected. If you are building a bedroom in the basement it should have AFCI protection I believe.

Old 06-29-11, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Switches connected to a grounded metal box are not required be have the ground wire attached to them. It is a good idea though.