Can someone explain this further?

Old 06-26-11, 06:17 PM
Can someone explain this further?

Everything in this plan sounds clear but I don't get the shared common ground for two separate circuits and two outlets. Can someone explain more clearly for me. FYI, I found this from someone else's posting but this is exactly what I need to do. I however plan to run both circuits to a shared a shared box for the twist lock and GFCI convenience outlets. Thanks.

"I plan to run 2 separate Romex 12/2 circuits from the Main Panel in the basement to a Junction Box located on the Inside side of the exterior wall. The Romex will be run along the inside of the ceiling joists and fastened with insulated staples; both Romex circuits will terminate in the Junction Box, at this point we are still Inside the House.
Within the Junction Box I will change over to THWN #12 Wire; I will run 5 wires (Black, Red, White (2), and 1 Green Common Ground) within " PVC Conduit. The PVC Conduit will exit the house and run in an 18" deep trench; I will also use Frost Sleeve Expanders at both ends (Exterior House Wall and 4x4 Post), the Town requires them.
These 2 THWN #12 Circuits will terminate in 2 separate PVC Outdoor Boxes attached to a 4x4 Pressure Treated Post that will be installed 10 to 12 Feet from the water line."

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-11, 07:09 PM
Group Moderator
If you use a double pole breaker you can run a multiwire circuit using 3-conductor NM-b and transitioning to 1 white, 1 black, 1 red, and 1 green. The neutral will be shared between the circuits.

Old 06-26-11, 11:41 PM
What are you refering from the water line is like water pipe or swimming pool edge or others ??

And also Keep in your mind with MWBC if you want to run the GFCI for each circuit there is two ways you can do the first one is run the indivual GFCI recetpales that is not a issue only if you keep downsteam seperated { which it mean it can not share netural with it }

Otherwise two pole GFCI breaker will meet this reqirement and they are not cheap and kinda semi limited on breaker slection depending on the brandname on the load centre.

Merci,
Marc

Old 06-27-11, 05:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the OP is running two circuits with two neutrals. I believe they are asking about sharing the green grounding conductor for both circuits.

The green grounding conductor can be shared between the two circuits.

Old 06-27-11, 09:14 AM
The water line is the pool. I just dont understand how one ground wire is attached to two outlets. Thanks.

Old 06-27-11, 09:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You run the wire from the conduit into box1, then run a wire from box1 to box2. The ground wires are wirenutted or barrel crimped in each box.

Old 06-27-11, 09:26 AM
Am I correct that the outlets are "bridged" with ground wire within the box. Ground wire to outlet #1 then a short piece from outlet #1 to outlet #2 ground screw?

Old 06-27-11, 09:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are the two receptacles in the same double-gang box or two separate boxes?

If they're in the same box you can just loop the ground wire through each device by leaving the wire long and stripping about 1" of insulation off the middle of the wire.

(Not my picture, credit Jamie Dolan)

Old 06-27-11, 09:53 AM
Yes in the same box. Thanks for the picture. That clears it up for me.

Old 06-27-11, 05:12 PM
The picture is correct, but I like to see the green ground wire pigtailed in the box so each device will have it's own ground wire (also correct).