agnes 20 AMP circuit breaker double tap

Old 06-26-11, 08:44 PM
agnes 20 AMP circuit breaker double tap

Greetings,

I'm a new user and in need of help! I bought my house 23 years ago and now trying to sell it. the inspector's report states that "there is visible evidence of double tap wiring (two circuits on one breaker). so, I took the cover out and noticed that 2 circuits are on a UND Lab, Inc. 2 POLE unit breaker. is this a violation? it's on a 2 POLE and not 1 POLE. the circuits are for basebord heaters that are no longer there. I can post he photo, but don't know hoe to do it in here.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mason

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-11, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Agnes welcome to the forums. As is true for most forums no hijacking. I have moved your post to its own thread. Pictures will help.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 06-26-11, 11:38 PM
There are few specfic breaker manufacter will allow double conductor at the lug termail so if you post model number or post the photo one of the two will help us alot.

Once we get that information then we can go from there.

Merci,
Marc

Old 06-27-11, 05:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the heaters are no long used the conductors can be removed and capped off. I would label the abandoned conductors so later on someone will know what they are.

Old 06-27-11, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree with pcboss. If the heaters are no longer used, simply disconnect the wires and cap them off. That solves the double-tap problem.

Old 06-27-11, 12:21 PM
thanks a bunch for your responses to my post. the manufacturer is ITE imperial corp. type is EQ-P. on the lable it says 2 POLE. it is two 20 amp circuit breaker. the conductors were capped off in the junction boxes and covered with a plate inside the walls. the circuit breakers are turned off at main panel. should I take the circuit breakers out of the main panle and if so, what do you do with the wires at the breaker side.

Mason

Old 06-27-11, 12:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can leave the breakers turned off in the panel. I would removed the conducotrs from the breaker and cap them off.