Bathroom Fan

Old 06-28-11, 09:03 AM
Bathroom Fan

Hello (again),

I asked some earlier questions about wiring fans and received very complete answers which is appreciated.

Yesterday evening, I bought three bathroom fans, one of which has a fan/nitelight/light combination that will be used in a small 1/2 bath. The fans are "premium" Nutone fans from Home Depot.

I gleaned from previous advice that lights and fans should be on separate breakers.

This morning, I opened the boxes and read the wiring directions for the light/fan combo and it shows ONE source of line power for the light and fan with a "multifunction" switch controlling the off/on functions for both.

Cognizant that Nutone isn't exactly the source of wiring expertise, I would have thought that they would not have made a mistake on something that seems so basic.

Can I wire the fan and light in that one unit from one breaker? Would appreciate some clarification.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-11, 09:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Fans and lights can be on the same circuit. The wiring box on those fans is usually so small there's no other way you could do it anyway.

Old 06-29-11, 07:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
One circuit is more than enough, even if all 3 were on the same circuit.

Old 06-29-11, 08:15 AM
Group Moderator
I'm guessing you are remembering cautions about fans with heaters being installed on the same circuit as the rest of the bath room. A heater and blow dryer on the same circuit could trip a breaker but yours doesn't have a heater so no problem.