SJO Versus SJT?

Old 07-02-11, 06:28 PM
SJO Versus SJT?

What are the pros/ cons of sjo/sjt, which one will dry out faster, etc? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-11, 07:50 PM
I believe SJO (neoprene and rubber) will be more flexible, better cut resistance, and less likely to crack at very low temps. The SJT, under more moderate conditions should outlive the SJO and is likely cheaper.

Old 07-02-11, 08:14 PM
The SJT will be much stiffer and harder to coil than the SJO. I prefer SJO (or additional letters) or if I need a really heavy-duty extension cord then I would want SO or with additional letters.

S= hard service, SJ= junior hard service, O= oil resistant, W= water resistant, T= thermoplastic insulation.

Old 07-03-11, 08:30 AM
Thanks, all. I think sjo/so are much better to work with. I also noticed sjt is stiffer and harder to coil and make into intricate (but not sharp) turns when trying to hide it. I am going to build another extension cord and was wondering which was better, and I'm guessing I will be better off with 12/3 SJOOW. The cord is a general use indoor/outdoor cord. It will have a hubbell plug on one end and a bell box with a metal bubble cover on the other. Sound okay?

Old 07-03-11, 10:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you are attempting to use the cord in place of permanent wiring. This is prohibited and against the allowable usages for flexible cords. Read Article 400 of the NEC.

Old 07-03-11, 12:01 PM
No, I am doing it this way so I can use it when wet as well as dry without the connections getting wet. I do not think the female cord connectors can be used when they're wet, and I do not want to carry a little structure around to protect them.