Changing 40A circuit to 20A double pole

Old 07-04-11, 08:16 AM
Changing 40A circuit to 20A double pole

I have a question that I haven't completely found the answer to on other posts...

I have a 40A circuit breaker, Square D box, that was previously used for a oven/microwave combo. I took that out and will be replacing it with a countertop plug in microwave. It will be semi-built in with a trim kit in a cabinet and the only thing I plan to run from the circuit is the microwave. There is already a separate 40A circuit going to my new range. I would like the keep the existing 8 gauge wire, pigtail it to 12-2 in a junction box, then run the 12-2 Romex to a 20A receptacle. That receptacle would be at the back of a cabinet. The microwave would plug into it and then have a trim kit to cover the opening of the cabinet.

I know I can't wire the 40A circuit directly to a 20A outlet. My proposed solution is to replace the 40A breaker with a 20A double pole breaker to make 2 circuits. The 8 gauge wire would be a multiwire with the black as one 20A/120V hot and the red would be another 20A/120V hot. They would have a common neutral and ground. I would take the black, neutral, and ground wires and connect to the 12-2 in the junction box. I would cap the red wire, connecting it to nothing, and make it an unused circuit.

Does this make sense? Will it work safely? I know it would be underusing the potential of the 2 circuits but I'm looking for the easy (& safe) solution to plugging in the microwave. Does it work to have the 8 gauge wire as multiwire with 20A double pole circuit and 20A receptacles?

Thanks for your help! I'm in West Virginia.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-11, 08:42 AM
Sounds good. If you break the tab on a duplex receptacle, yo can wire the top half to red and the bottom half to black. You can use the other half to plug in uc lights or something similuar.

Old 07-04-11, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
Justin"s suggestion in this case won't work because in a kitchen you need a GFCI and they can't be split but your suggestion will. Be sure the box the splice is in remains accessible.

Old 07-04-11, 09:56 AM
Ray, Justin's idea will work just fine IF instead of splitting a single duplex receptacle the original poster uses the Multi-Wire Branch Circuit to feed two separate GFCI receptacles.

Old 07-04-11, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
Ray, Justin's idea will work just fine IF instead of splitting a single duplex receptacle the original poster uses the Multi-Wire Branch Circuit to feed two separate GFCI receptacles.
Yes. I was only responding to the narrow confines of his statement.

Old 07-04-11, 10:22 AM
Doesn't a large cable like that use a 2 gang box or a 4x4 box with a mudring, anyway?

Old 07-05-11, 08:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If the receptacle does not serve the countertop it would not need GFI protection.

Old 07-05-11, 08:12 AM
That was what i was thinking when i posted.