No power to several rooms

Old 07-04-11, 09:13 AM
No power to several rooms

I woke up this morning only to find that the lights in my kitchen, hallway, office, and bathroom do not work. I have buss fuses and have replaced them all twice with no luck. I then thought that maybe it was some freak light bulb burn out accident and that wasn't the fix either. The weird part about it is that in these room the outlets still have power but the lights don't turn on. Am I missing something here or do I have a legitimate problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-11, 09:23 AM
Air conditioner out too

I also forgot to mention that my central air conditioner stopped working as well. I would think that these two incidents are separate but i am not sure. Breaker on the 220 line for the air conditioner wasn't tripped so I am completely stumped here.

Old 07-04-11, 09:39 AM
Super Moderator
You may have lost 1 side of your 240 (not 220) service. Are the fuses controlling these circuits all on the same side of your panel?

Old 07-04-11, 10:10 AM
Group Moderator
To expand on Vic's post do you have a set of main fuses? One may be burnt out.

Old 07-04-11, 10:36 AM
You may have dropped a leg whether it be a blown fuse, bad main or loose connection.

Old 07-04-11, 12:26 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All of the above. However, if your 240 volt breaker is fine, it could be one of the 120 volt breakers that control the transformer in your air handler aren't supplying power. The condenser won't run without a signal from the air handler through the thermostat.