GFI question

Old 07-05-11, 01:48 PM
GFI question

Has anyone heard of a new Section 8 regulation that requires a GFI outlet under the kitchen sink for the dishwasher and garbage disposal? We just rented a home where the Section 8 inspector said there was a new requirement that the GFI be under the sink even if there was one at the countertop?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 02:11 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! I've not heard of such a regulation, but it's the gumment, and they can just about regulate you out of business if you let them. Ask for chapter and verse.

Old 07-05-11, 02:24 PM
Apparently a new 2011 requirement but illogical as far as I can determine. Our electrician says that it is not possible to run the garbage disposal and dishwaher on the same GFI One ot the other will not function properly

Old 07-05-11, 02:37 PM
Group Moderator
Our electrician says that it is not possible to run the garbage disposal and dishwaher on the same GFI One ot the other will not function properly
Maybe you have a multiwire circuit and he is misinformed about multi wire circuits. Is the GD and DW on a 2-pole breaker or maybe two single pole breakers with a red wire to one breaker and black wire to the other breaker? If so it is a multiwire circuit. If so you can use two separate GFCI receptacles or a single GFCI 240v breaker.

Old 07-05-11, 03:25 PM
I will check with him. He said that we may could put two GFIs there but it would require some rewiring. Thanks very much!