Questions on Pool Electrical Equipment

Old 07-05-11, 10:48 PM
Questions on Pool Electrical Equipment

Hi all,

Live in NY, Digging will begin soon for a new inground pool.

PUMP is a 2hp hayward & will require a 2-pole 15-amp breaker. I currently have a UNUSED pre-installed 10/3 cable available from the main panel to the pump location (approximately 95 feet in length & I believe rated for 30Amps).

OTHER pool equipment will consist of a salt cell, 2 pool lights, GFCI outlet, control valve to solar heat. Placement of ALL pool equipment is located right outside my subpanel feeding my basement electric.

Question: can I utilize the 10/3 wire for the PUMP & wire the OTHER pool equipment separately, or does all pool equipment need to go to one pool subpanel.

Question: can my OTHER pool equipment be wired off a standard sub-panel located just inside the home.

Question: Does ALL pool equipment need to be grounded together along w/the pool.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by pcboss; 07-08-11 at 06:28 AM. Reason: removed 30 amp comment to avoid confusion
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-11, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
will require a 2-pole 15-amp breaker (30 amp total).
A 15 amp breaker is just that 15a. You don't add the amps together.
can I utilize the 10/3 wire for the PUMP
Actually if you really mean cable not wire you can't use cable because it has a bare ground and for pools you need an insulated ground. You only need #14 THWN single conductor wires for a 15 amp breaker but given the distance #12 THWN might be better. Your best bet is to get an electrician familiar with pools to do the install. Lots of safety issues involved. You'd probably need a 30 amp or 60 amp subpanel at the pool.

Above assumes an outdoor pool some distance from the house.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-06-11 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-06-11, 10:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mrvin View Post
I currently have a UNUSED pre-installed 10/3 cable available from the main panel to the pump location (approximately 95 feet in length & I believe rated for 30Amps).
Does the cable go through the house or outdoors? Where is the pool equipment in relation to the building?

can I utilize the 10/3 wire for the PUMP & wire the OTHER pool equipment separately, or does all pool equipment need to go to one pool subpanel.
All of the pool equipment will probably be okay on a small subpanel fed by the 10-3g cable as long as the cable runs indoors.

Question: can my OTHER pool equipment be wired off a standard sub-panel located just inside the home.
It could be, but that may not be necessary.

Question: Does ALL pool equipment need to be grounded together along w/the pool.
Yes, the technical term is called bonding. The code requires that all electric pool equipment, all metal parts, and all of the concrete or soil decking, and the water itself be electrically bonded with a solid #8 copper wire. By bonding all conductive materials you create an equipotential bonding grid. The pool itself will need to be bonded if it is steel, as will the rebar in the concrete, the ladder mounts, any light fixtures, and a water bonder usually in the skimmer. Your pool contractor should be able to explain to you how they are going to do it.

Old 07-06-11, 05:53 PM
The 10/3 does run indoors.

So technically if the 10/3 wire is not large enough to supply all equipment,

1) I can wire the PUMP to an newly installed outdoor subpanel which will then use the existing 10/3 going directly to the main panel (required by code)

2) Then wire the OTHER pool equipment directly to the nearby indoor subpanel (just on the other side of the wall)

3) Then I must make sure ALL equipment is bonded to the ground wire going around & connecting to the rebar of the concrete pool.

Old 07-06-11, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
So technically if the 10/3 wire is not large enough to supply all equipment,
It is large enough to power a 30A subpanel, which is plenty for the specified pool equipment. I would install a four space pool subpanel on the outside wall of the house within line-of-sight of the pump and filter. The panel would have a 15A double-pole GFCI breaker for the pump, a 20A breaker for the required GFCI receptacle, and a spot for a GFCI breaker to power other auxiliary equipment and lighting. This would also satisfy the maintenance disconnect requirement for the pool equipment.

Old 07-07-11, 08:27 AM
Why not just use a 30A double-pole gfci breaker in the main panel?

Old 07-07-11, 09:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is also an option, but it increases the chances of false trips.

Old 07-07-11, 08:52 PM
Great, I'll go w/the 30Amp subpanel & power all equipment from there.

Guess I see other people put a 60A subpanel but that's either overkill or for future equipment like a electric pool heater.

Also incorrectly thought a 15A double-pole breaker would max out a 30A subpanel (drawing 15A+15A=30A total), & was concern with the 10/3 indoor cable being 95 feet long.

What length would had required an upgrade to 8/3 wire?

Old 07-07-11, 09:33 PM
You have 2.4% VD now so you're good to go.

Old 07-08-11, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Guess I see other people put a 60A subpanel but that's either overkill or for future equipment like a electric pool heater.
When you're putting it in new the price isn't too much more to do a 60A panel for future use, but since you already have the 30A might as well use it.

What length would had required an upgrade to 8/3 wire?
It's generally about 150', but the calculation takes in some other factors too.

Old 07-08-11, 03:20 PM
Thanks for your time explaining. Feel very confident now.