Back wiring - two wires per screw acceptable?

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-11, 05:03 PM
Back wiring - two wires per screw acceptable?

I'm using Leviton Prograde back-wire (not quick-stab) receptacles on a 12-2 circuit - each screw plate has capacity for 2 wires. Am I OK to use one screw for line and load? I realize pigtails would eliminate a point of failure (as well as introducing one), but the chances of this seem slim. I know side wiring is strictly one wire per screw...

I believe I'm also OK to use 15A outlets with a 20A breaker as there are more than one receptacle per circuit. (There is no mixed cable (or lights - the circuit is outlets only).

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-11, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Yes, you can use two wires. By US code (Canada varies) you may use 15a receptacles so long as there are two or more places for plugs. The receptacles are typically rated 20a pass through.

Old 07-06-11, 07:19 PM
I like to use 20A outlets because it makes it easier to find which ones is on a 20A circut. Just my opinion.

Old 07-06-11, 08:52 PM
Justin, in all of your lifetime have you EVER seen any non-commercial electrical appliance that had a 20 ampere plug? I've been around about four times as long as you and I never have. Come to think about it, I'll state that I have probably only seen a half-dozen commercial appliances that were cord-and-plug connected that had a 20 ampere plug.

Old 07-07-11, 06:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I like to use 20A outlets because it makes it easier to find which ones is on a 20A circut. Just my opinion.
Why do you need to find a twenty amp circuit? As Furd says below you will not commonly find a 20 amp cord cap in a residential setting. Installing the twenty amp devices is a waste of money.

Old 07-07-11, 07:01 AM
To answer both of your questions, if I have two appliannces that use more than 7.5A each, if I see the t-slot I know that it is a 20A circut and that is the circut I know to plug the appliances into.

Old 07-07-11, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
Justin we are here to give people reasonable advice in usually encountered situations. You could just mark the receptacles with a red dot. No need for a special receptacle. However no real need to do even that because the situation you propose is unlikely to occur.

Old 07-07-11, 08:26 AM
Group Moderator
Question has been answered. Post is locked. nicktf PM me if you have further questions. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pr...newpm&u=173257

Old 07-07-11, 07:21 PM
Originally Posted by nicktf View Post
I'm using Leviton Prograde back-wire (not quick-stab) receptacles on a 12-2 circuit - each screw plate has capacity for 2 wires. Am I OK to use one screw for line and load? I realize pigtails would eliminate a point of failure (as well as introducing one), but the chances of this seem slim. I know side wiring is strictly one wire per screw...

I believe I'm also OK to use 15A outlets with a 20A breaker as there are more than one receptacle per circuit. (There is no mixed cable (or lights - the circuit is outlets only).

Thanks!
Just a quick head up in USA side the 15 A Duplex receptale is legit to use on 20 amp circuit { this is on non commercal useage the commercal will have slightly diffrent codés depending on their local codé requirement.}

Merci,
Marc

P.S. the thread will stay lock for time being.

Closed Thread