Removing rusted out conduit box

Old 07-06-11, 09:55 PM
Removing rusted out conduit box

The builder of my house installed an electrical conduit box with a light fixture on the exterior of my house. They did a horrible job installing it because it was not properly sealed. Now the box has rusted out and continues to short out the light fixture. I want to replace the box but the problem is that it is embedded into concrete. Does anyone have any ideas how I can remove it so I can replace it?

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-11, 10:21 PM
Hammer, cold chisel, hacksaw blade and lots of elbow grease. In other words, there is no "easy" way.

Old 07-07-11, 02:45 AM
There is no easy way to deal with it I do the same way as Furd describing and also make sure you get galvalized box and watch out with EMT conduit if you have them they will rust out like nuts but PVC it survibale as long you don't distort the conduit and also make sure the circuit is dead in that junction box.

If PVC just pull the conductors back to the next junction box and go work on the bad box when you get done just reside the conductors back in but make sure you use the fish tape to pull it in and before YOU do that make sure there is no blockage or hevey kink those two items are killer when you try to restring it back in.

Merci,
Marc

Old 07-13-11, 03:16 PM
Well I was hoping for an easier way but I guess I'll roll up the sleeves and have it.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 07-13-11, 05:06 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
*raises my hand*

A rusted box shouldn't be causing a short or any significant electrical issue. Unless the box is truly rusted through, it may be able to be salvaged.

If there's something shorting out, it's the wires which may or may not need to be replaced. Before you go chipping out the box, you may want to post a few pics for some opinions here.

Old 07-13-11, 05:22 PM
I agree with Zorfdt, before you start chipping away concrete you need to look at other options. Tearing the existing box out could be a can of worms that will turn into an awful lot of work and possibly not even solve the problem. Take some pictures of the inside of the box and post them for us to look at. There may be a much simpler way to solve your problem.