UV-C Germicidal Lights for my Taco Truck

Old 07-09-11, 04:36 PM
Smile UV-C Germicidal Lights for my Taco Truck

I have a taco truck and I want to have UV-C Germicidal lights come on at night after we close...

1) What bulb would you recommend? I'm thinking of using these: TUV T8 Xtra - Philips

2) Do I need a special ballast or anything? I think the Philips website says their UV-C bulbs can be used with any ballast. UV Lamps and Drivers; for water and air purification/disinfection

3) Should I use the special "HF Driver for amalgam lamps" from Philips or should I stay with a normal ballast?

4) It seems bulbs.com has only one fluorescent bulb fixture for me, do you think this will work? If not, can you recommend a fixture? I'm thinking of mounting one fixture on either side of the taco truck. P7265-30EB - 120 Volt 24" T8 One Lamp Striplight | Bulbs.com

5) How would you set the lights to auto-start and auto-stop? The AC Power of the truck will be run off a generator during working hours and will be plugged in at night.

6) How would you protect the bulbs from being damaged? I know I can't use a normal plastic cover over UV-C.

6) Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks!!! -s

Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-11, 06:55 PM
I would screw them into regular fixtures controlled by a timer.

Old 07-09-11, 07:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Justin, I believe the OP is dealing with tube type fluorescent lamps. Notice the mention of 24" and T8 and strip light.

Old 07-10-11, 09:01 PM
That's exactly what I'd like to do but I'm trying to find out if it is possible...

If the UV-C T8 fluorescent bulbs can be used in any normal fixture then that's how I'd use them.

Old 07-10-11, 09:50 PM
Group Moderator
These I believe are clear bulbs used for water purification. From what I have read it would be dangerous to use them in a space where someone might look at them. They could burn the eye.

Old 07-11-11, 06:15 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
These I believe are clear bulbs used for water purification. From what I have read it would be dangerous to use them in a space where someone might look at them. They could burn the eye.
He just wants to have them come on at night after they close so that shouldn't be a problem.

Old 07-11-11, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There will be a problem if someone breaks in and hurts their eyes looking at them. Same thing as rigging up a shotgun to fire when the door opens. Too many lawyers out there to let it go by. The lights will be required to have individual plastic tube covers to satisfy food and drug administration guidelines.

Old 07-12-11, 05:24 AM
From discussing it with various vendors, plenty of businesses use these bulbs this way all the time (hospitals, clean rooms, semiconductor, etc). Problem is they want to charge $700 for a bulb, ballast and fixture which is why I'm looking to do it myself. I can get the bulbs for around $40 and I think I can use them in a standard fixture, but I'm not sure, which is why I came here.

It is common to use a kill switch on the door to stop the lights if anyone enters, that together with signage and a timer will be good enough to prevent accidental exposure.

I'm really just asking for help with Fluorescent Lighting...

Does anyone have any suggestions or answers to my questions?

Thank you! -sandra

Old 07-12-11, 07:55 AM
Group Moderator
Sandra, I've moved your post to Electrical to see if someone over there who doesn't read the lighting forum can help.

Old 07-12-11, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
From the spec sheet it looks to me like you could use them with any ballasted fixture that accepts standard T8 lamps. This should be a high-frequency electronic ballast, not the old humming magnetic type for T12 lamps.

There's no reason you couldn't use a timer so long as the wattage of the lamps is less than the rating of the timer.

Old 07-12-11, 11:46 AM
hi Sandra and guys –

I am a newbie and an electrical ignoramus. But I have a whole house UV system for water purification and recently the pc monitor board that monitors whether or not the bulb is working failed . (The on-board fuse blew and I got good help on another thread here. But I think the board is history ).

Anyway I found that my system consists of a regular Phillips fluorescent ballast plus the pc board to monitor whether or not the bulb is on. I took the PC board out and wired directly to the ballast. The bulb seems to work just fine.

But here’s the catch (maybe?) : How are you going to know that your UV bulb is working unless you look at it, if all you have is the ballast? Seems like a UV system does in fact need some kind of monitoring device and not just a safety switch? But – this all could be over my head! lol

Old 07-12-11, 11:57 AM
Group Moderator
Excellent point, Zoesdad. You have to wonder about the $700 for a complete unit because just a bulb, fixture, timer, interlock switch, relay to prevent the bulb from restarting if some one closed the door from the inside and an occupancy sensor as as a secondary interlock would be less then $300 but then again how safe is the jerry rigged system going to be. Maybe there are other safety related items like the board Zoesdad wrote about that really are needed that your set up wouldn't have.

Germicidal lamps I've seen in barber shops have a purplish tint. Are the bulbs other vendors use clear or purple?

Old 07-12-11, 12:12 PM
Group Moderator
Would something such as this Buy Honeywell 3-in-1 Electronic Air Cleaners at Allergy Asthma Technology - Allergy Asthma Tech from one of DIY's advertisers work? It does use UV to kill bacteria.

Old 07-12-11, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator
Question Why uv?

I work in a hospital and am also familiar with the food prep industry and can't imagine why you would want a uv lamp in a food truck?

Proper food prep hygiene involves thoroughly cleaning all surfaces with proper disinfecting cleaners.
Once all surfaces are thoroughly washed with a sanitizing cleaner your bacteria should be under control.
If a food prep space becomes idle during off hours it only takes a re-wipe with a cleaning solution to make your surfaces good again.

I have serviced a few food vendor vehicles and my experience with them has grease removal as a the biggest job in keeping a truck clean.

Old 07-13-11, 07:49 AM
Thank you ibpooks and zoesdad for the great answers! I think that's the route I might go.

ray2047 unfortunately no, an air purifier will not work for my application. My goal is to purify the surfaces as well as the air. The expensive system seems to just be a bulb, ballast and fixture. I will have to add the reverse occupancy sensor and timer.

GregH thank you for your concern. I'm very aware of standard food safety protocols and yes of course I will continue to follow them. The kitchen will be cleaned and sanitized by hand very often.

My goal in adding UV-C sanitation is to go above and beyond the basic food safety requirements (I don't have any issues with grease removal because of how and what I'm cooking). My truck is clean and I will be going the extra mile to make sure there is little to no chance of ever making anyone sick.

UV-C system can range from a simple T8 fluorescent bulb to a complete HVAC system or full room sanitizer.

I'm excited to add this extra level of protection to my kitchen.

Thank you all for your help! -s

Last edited by Sandra90; 07-13-11 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-13-11, 10:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by GregH View Post
Proper food prep hygiene involves thoroughly cleaning all surfaces with proper disinfecting cleaners.
Yeah, but he said taco truck. (I'll have the #3 BTW)