Wire code question (BC Canada)

Old 07-10-11, 03:11 PM
Wire code question (BC Canada)

Hopefully a simple question. I'm pulling a couple 14/2 nmd90 runs from my panel through the ceiling in my unheated garage. The ceiling is 100% drywall finished and it has blow insulation in it (WTF) My understanding is that wire has to be supported every 1.5 feet or thereabouts.

2 questions:

1) Does this apply even in a fishing situation like I have where I could cut a small hole at each end and pull through?

2) Could I run the lines in a conduit and get around the support rule?

If not it really just means I have to cut more holes and more drywall which isn't the end of the world.

CHEERS!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-11, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by tha_dub View Post
that wire has to be supported every 1.5 feet or thereabouts.
For NM cable it's 4.5 feet support interval; staples or bore holes count at a support.

1) Does this apply even in a fishing situation like I have where I could cut a small hole at each end and pull through?
If it's fished an not accessible then you don't need to staple it. If you can access it, then it should be stapled. Also if the attic is readily accessible the cable should be protected by running alongside a protection board. If the attic is not really accessible for walking/storage the cable only needs to be protected within 6' of the scuttle hole.

Could I run the lines in a conduit and get around the support rule?
Conduit still has support intervals - 3' for pvc, flex, etc; 10' for rigid metal types.