Pool Light Wiring Question

Old 07-10-11, 04:03 PM
Pool Light Wiring Question

Currently my pool light is on a dedicated circuit. That circuit does not have a GFI breaker, but a normal breaker in the main box. That circuit goes to a GFI receptacle in the pool electrical stack (with the deck box) and the light is connected to the LOAD terminals of the GFI receptacle. (1) Is this procedure still code? If so, (2) There is a switch in another box which switches the light (and therefore the GFI receptacle) on and off. Can this switch instead be placed between the GFI and the light, leaving the GFI receptacle always on? (3) Is there any problem with ALSO replacing the circuit breaker with a GFI breaker?

MANY THANKS!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-11, 07:41 PM
(1) Is this procedure still code?
Yes

(2) There is a switch in another box which switches the light (and therefore the GFI receptacle) on and off. Can this switch instead be placed between the GFI and the light, leaving the GFI receptacle always on?
Yes

(3) Is there any problem with ALSO replacing the circuit breaker with a GFI breaker?
The only problem I see is that you would want to replace the GFI outlet with a duplex receptacle. You never want to power a GFI device from another GFI source.

Old 07-11-11, 10:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by newbea View Post
(3) Is there any problem with ALSO replacing the circuit breaker with a GFI breaker?
I would do one or the other, probably just the GFCI breaker.

Old 07-11-11, 03:51 PM
Thanks

Thank you for your responses. Gives me peace of mind to know I'm doing it correctly. Rarely turn on the pool light but definitely don't want it compromised.

NB