Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

need advice on where to put wires on replacement switches from obsolete switches

need advice on where to put wires on replacement switches from obsolete switches

Old 07-12-11, 12:47 PM

i need to replace two switches. the one on the left controls a porch light. the right one controls a wall outlet that has a lamp plugged in to it. the old switches are very old and i've never seen anything like them. the switches are single phase in my opinion and the terminals are located on top instead of on the side. when i replace them i am not sure where the old wires should go on the new switch. i have some pics which i hope will help you understand what i'm asking. i see there are two wires on one terminal and i know that isn't allowed. my confusion is where do the wires go on the new switches from the old switches? if you could slowly explain the routing i would greatly appreciate it. thank you, steve
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...04/Switch6.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-11, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums

Am I seeing correctly that you have a wire which is connecting the two switches to each other?

Old 07-12-11, 02:08 PM
Group Moderator
Pull the switches out so we can see the wiring better. I see on/off on the toggles so this should be a standard SPST with only two screws. Position of screws on switch body doesn't matter nor does it matter which wire goes to which screw.

I don't see a ground wire. If none and the metal box is grounded the switch grounds should be pigtailed to the box.

Old 07-12-11, 02:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yeah, the hot wire is a common hot wire. Looks as if it loops on the screw on the right switch and goes over to the left switch.
What you would do is wire-for-wire move them to your new switches. The only difference is your screws will be on the same side. It doesn't matter which terminals you use as the hot. Just for starters, remove the hot wire that jumps between switches and place it on the bottom screws on your new switches. Then remove the other wire on the right switch to the vacant screw on your new "right" switch. Same thing with the left switch.
If there is more than one wire under a screw head, then you have to pigtail those wires to a single one and attach it to the screw. One wire. One screw. The pictures are limited, but there are no other switches in the room(s) that control these same items, right?

Old 07-12-11, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Yeah, the hot wire is a common hot wire. Looks as if it loops on the screw on the right switch and goes over to the left switch.
What you would do is wire-for-wire move them to your new switches. The only difference is your screws will be on the same side. It doesn't matter which terminals you use as the hot. Just for starters, remove the hot wire that jumps between switches and place it on the bottom screws on your new switches. Then remove the other wire on the right switch to the vacant screw on your new "right" switch. Same thing with the left switch.
If there is more than one wire under a screw head, then you have to pigtail those wires to a single one and attach it to the screw. One wire. One screw. The pictures are limited, but there are no other switches in the room(s) that control these same items, right?
correct. no other switches in the room.

Old 07-12-11, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
Pull the switches out so we can see the wiring better. I see on/off on the toggles so this should be a standard SPST with only two screws. Position of screws on switch body doesn't matter nor does it matter which wire goes to which screw.

I don't see a ground wire. If none and the metal box is grounded the switch grounds should be pigtailed to the box.
yes they both say on/off.

Old 07-12-11, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by mitch17 View Post
Welcome to the forums

Am I seeing correctly that you have a wire which is connecting the two switches to each other?
yes. there is a short wire from the right screw on the left switch to the left screw on the right switch and there is another wire under the screw on the right switch. i think it's visible in the one pic.

Old 07-13-11, 03:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I couldn't tell about a second wire. It looked to be "looped" in continuity around the screw. If there is two wires under one screw, you'll need to pigtail the hot wire from the box with two short wires, one to each switch to power them. The other instructions are the same.