New dryer circuit?

Old 07-14-11, 04:59 AM
New dryer circuit?

Hello,

I know this is an old topic, but I want to make sure that I have it correct.

My house in Miami, FL was built in 1970. The dryer circuit in the laundry room uses a 3-prong 240/50 amp receptacle that is protected by a 30 amp breaker. The 240V box also has a 120V duplex outlet connected to it that the washing machine is plugged into (the wires between the boxes are NOT in conduit!).

I want to upgrade the circuit for a new, presumably 4-prong dryer. Where do I begin?

Thank you very much.

Richard

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-11, 05:54 AM
Group Moderator
The 240V box also has a 120V duplex outlet connected to it that the washing machine is plugged into (the wires between the boxes are NOT in conduit!).
This would be a violation even with conduit. A general purpose 120v receptacle can not be on greater then a 20 amp breaker.

If you want to upgrade the dryer circuit you need to run a new #10 three wire + ground circuit for the dryer If using cable use 10/3 NM-b. If conduit tell us if metal or PVC and post back for details.

The dryer circuit is grandfathered and could be left. The new dryer could be converted to three wire. The 120v circuit isn't grandfathered because it was never code compliant. It needs to be redone with a new 20a circuit with either a GFCI breaker or receptacle. Use 12/2 NM-b or conduit with #12 THHN/THWN.

Old 07-14-11, 07:26 AM
Thanks, Ray. The 120V circuit that is part of the dryer circuit also includes another duplex outlet and the laundry room light. How does this change what I have to do?

Thanks, again.
Richard

Old 07-14-11, 09:28 AM
Group Moderator
All of those devices need to be removed and put on a 20a circuit. They can all be on the same circuit. In that case though I would not use a a GFCI breaker. I would use a GFCI receptacle and if possible run the second receptacle off the load side of the GFCI and light off the line side. That way if you trip the GFCI you aren't in the dark. If the second receptacle isn't in the laundry room depending on location you may be able to also run it from the line side.

Old 07-15-11, 08:53 AM
Ray,

Just found out that three outlets (duplexes) in house adjacent to laundry room and a patio flood light are all on the same circuit as the receptacles and dryer in laundry room. What a disaster! Probably happened when house was rebuilt after Hurricane Andrew in 1992. So, does that mean a new 20a circuit in laundry room and another 20a circuit to accommodate the 3 new outlets and patio light?

Thanks, again.

Old 07-15-11, 10:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The 20 amp luandry circuit should not have outlets outside the laundry room.

Old 07-15-11, 10:39 AM
It is also a good idea to put the iron and the washer on seperate circuts. Use receptacles marked specification grade.

Old 07-15-11, 10:49 AM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
It is also a good idea to put the iron and the washer on seperate circuts. Use receptacles marked specification grade.
Unlikely to cause a problem. The washers don't draw that much current. No need to use spec grade. Just don't use the cheapest.

Old 07-16-11, 07:00 AM
Sorry, I don't know what you mean by the word "iron"?

Thanks.

RG

Old 07-16-11, 07:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think Justin meant a clothes iron to remove wrinkles.