Wiring length for outside 50 amp circuit

Old 07-14-11, 10:10 AM
Red face Wiring length for outside 50 amp circuit

I'm planning to run a circuit about 700 feet to a barn. 50 amp.

How far should I go to have max voltage and what needs to interrupt the cirucuit? A junction box every so many feet? And which gauge? The wiring will be buried in pvc pipe. Thanks , mary

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-11, 10:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
When you run a circuit a long distance you need to increase the size of the wires to compensate. It is best not to have any interruptions in the circuit between the main building and the barn.

Based on my calculation for the two hots and neutral wire, you should use copper wiring no smaller than #1 AWG or aluminum wiring no smaller than #2/0 AWG. The ground wire can be #6 if copper or #4 if aluminum. (Prepare for sticker shock) In either case you would want PVC conduit at least 2" or a direct burial cable like URD or USE-2.

Are you sure that you need a full 50A at the barn?

Old 07-14-11, 04:06 PM
Group Moderator
Is the barn closer to the utility's power lines? Maybe you could get another service installed just for the barn.

Old 07-17-11, 11:59 PM
700 feet is pretty long run IMO there is the other suggest is use the transfomer to boost the voltage to 480 volts so you can use smaller conductor the cost of the conductor for that long can be justifed over the transfomer cost { this part it will be wise have a electrician assist you if you go this route }

So if you do go this route you will need either 10 or 15 KW { depending on how you set up the barn plus will need welder or not ( if welder then increase to 15 KW )}transfomers the cost of the single phase transfomer on state side I am not sure due I am used with European prices so again have the electrician assist you on this one the cost to use the transfomer plus smaller conductor may be cheaper than use very large 1/0 Alum on that distance { If I did my figures correct on state side you should able use #6 CU or #4 alum }

If you do go that route just make sure you put a warning sign next to the conduit or on the conduit say " 480 volts " so that way someone be aware with it.

Merci,
Marc

Old 07-18-11, 08:43 AM
If you do go that route just make sure you put a warning sign next to the conduit or on the conduit say " 480 volts " so that way someone be aware with it.
I've seen orange stickers that you can stick directly to the conduit/boxes.

Old 07-20-11, 04:06 AM
Thank you everybody,,, i'll check with my local electrician too.! mary

Old 07-20-11, 10:20 PM
Great.,, Just keep us posted how it come out.

Merci,
Marc