wiring an in ground pool

Old 07-14-11, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
wiring an in ground pool

I'm having an in ground pool installed and I plan on doing the wiring myself. Does any one know if there is a panel box that comes with everything in it, ( breakers, timer, outlet, etc.) or do I have to get a water proof box and install everything myself? Also, does anyone know what a light pipe is? The pool company said they will supply it and fill it with water, but the electrician will need to extend it and possibly bend it with the water in it. The pool company is not giving me much help, because they want me to use their electrician. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-11, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know intermatic makes a pool panel with two timers, a receptacle, and a few breaker spaces all in one unit, although I do not know the model number.

Old 07-15-11, 08:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 39 Votes on 34 Posts
The rules for properly wiring and bonding a pool, the surrounding metal and the water would be better off let to someone with the experience and knowledge of the rules.

Old 07-15-11, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 42 Votes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyGnz View Post
Does any one know if there is a panel box that comes with everything in it, ( breakers, timer, outlet, etc.)
Not that I know of. Pretty much every pool install is unique so I'm not sure a kit would be a good idea.

or do I have to get a water proof box
Usually just NEMA 3R is sufficient, waterproof isn't necessary.

Also, does anyone know what a light pipe is?
Perhaps they're talking about a conduit associated with wet niche lighting?

The pool company is not giving me much help, because they want me to use their electrician. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
An inground pool is tough to get right; it wouldn't be a bad idea to have the electrician do it. If you do proceed on your own, it is vitally important that you get all of the bonding done at the correct phases of the construction or it will be very difficult to accomplish later. Make sure to fully read and understand article 680 so you know what you're up against.