Hot Tub Neutral Question

Old 07-15-11, 11:26 AM
Hot Tub Neutral Question

I'm connecting a 240V Sundance hot tub, and am having problems with the GFI tripping.
Here's my set -up -

Main Panel - 200A service, with 100A breaker feeding new subpanel in basemet. This was professionally installed.
Subpanel has 4 wire hookup from main panel - WITH NON BONDED NEUTRAL BAR.
50A non GFCI breaker feeding disconnect near tub -

From Subpanel - out to 50A GFCI Disconnect box - 4 wire (two hot, neutral, insulated ground - All #6 THNN)

From Disconnect - 3 wire hookup to hot tub (two hot, ground).

Here's my question - If I were hooking up directly to my main service panel, I would tie the ground and neutral to the same place. However, since I'm starting at my subpanel, with non-bonded neutral bar, I would think I'd have to tie my ground to ground and neutral to the neutral bar. In this configuration, my GFCI pops immediately.
Should I wire my Disconnect to my subpanel with ground and neutral on the unbonded neutral bar of the subpanel? In other words, treat it as if I were wiring it to my main panel?
Thanks in advance for your responses,
Wayne

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-11, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In the subpanel, feeder cable to the disconnect: hots wires to the double-pole 50A breaker, neutral to the neutral bar, ground to the ground bar.

If you can post pictures of the inside of the panels we might be able to spot a subtle wiring error.

Old 07-15-11, 02:28 PM
Thanks Ben

Thanks Ben - But when I wire it that way, the GFCI pops immediately. I'm trying to verify correct wiring before getting the spa guys to hunt for shorts. I was just wondering if there was a difference between wiring from the main panel (Ground and Neutral together) and wiring from a subpanel (Ground and neutral isolated) that would cause GFCI problems when used in a 3 wire spa setup (2 hots, 1 Insulated ground, no neutral).
Thanks again,
Wayne

Old 07-15-11, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by WayneFlyfisher View Post
Thanks Ben - But when I wire it that way, the GFCI pops immediately. I'm trying to verify correct wiring before getting the spa guys to hunt for shorts. I was just wondering if there was a difference between wiring from the main panel (Ground and Neutral together) and wiring from a subpanel (Ground and neutral isolated) that would cause GFCI problems when used in a 3 wire spa setup (2 hots, 1 Insulated ground, no neutral).
Thanks again,
Wayne
When you say the GFI pops immediately, does that mean you have the tub wiring connected to the GFI in the disconnect already and the GFI pops as soon as power is applied to it from the subpanel? Have you tried disconnecting the tub load wiring from the GFI and then turning on the 50 amp feed to the disconnect panel? I'd bet if you do this the GFI won't trip.