Exterior receptacle and PVC conduit?

Old 07-16-11, 10:52 AM
Exterior receptacle and PVC conduit?

Hi

I have another question regarding outdoor electrical. I have an outside location with a surface mount electrical box. I'd like to add a second surface-mount box with a receptacle about 20' from this one with conduit going from box to box.

Can these boxes be connected with PVC conduit or should it be metal? I have some
corners and right angles and was thinking PVC would be more doable, not having any bending tools.

How far off the ground is the minimum distance for code? I believe if I buried them (which I'm pretty sure I won't) the code is 12" minimum for metal, 18" for PVC. But I'm talking the distance from the ground up the wall to the box.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

G

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-11, 11:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can use the PVC conduit to connect the boxes. You will just add a male terminal adapter with threads and screw these into the box. Get either a pull L or an LB to make the outside corner turn.

I would keep the conduit out of weedeater range to avoid potential damage.

Old 07-16-11, 11:57 AM
Thanks

Thanks pcboss for your fast response!

G

Old 07-16-11, 03:43 PM
If you get snow in your area then the receptacles should be above the normal snow line. I like at least a foot above the snow line. If your conduit is "subject to mechanical damage" , which is kind of a judgment call, you should use schedule 80 PVC. Any PVC exposed must be rated for UV (ultraviolet light) exposure.