Wire in my new doorway opening. Need help.

Old 07-16-11, 09:07 PM
Wire in my new doorway opening. Need help.

hello good people.. I am begining a kitchen and bathroom remodel. The client wants the original bathroom door closed off, and opened up on the opposite side of the room. After verifying both walls are none load bearing I did just that... There is a GFCI in my new opening and I knew this wire would have to be moved (14/2 romex). What I didnt expect to see is the following: E18679 (UL) AWG 14 CU 3 CDR WITH AWG 14 GROUND TYPE NM-B 600 VOLTS. I have no idea where these wires are running to. There is not enough slack in the wire to move out of my opening. Can these be spliced ?, any idea what they are being used for? Because of the voltage and the heat rating is there a code saying these can't be spliced to give me the length I need and move out of my opening?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-11, 09:30 PM
That is standard type NM cable. All splices need to made in permanently accessible boxes. I don't really understand your problem so maybe if you posted a picture or two it would become more clear.

Old 07-16-11, 09:52 PM
hey Furd its the wire type i'm unfamiliar with, never seen it before its round with a sorta transparent coating/sheathing. Not sure if my local HD carries that exact wire... if not will I be able to splice with anything the same gauge? Pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

Old 07-16-11, 10:04 PM
The pertinent information is "AWG 14 CU 3 CDR WITH AWG 14 GROUND TYPE NM-B" which means #14 copper conductors, three insulated and one bare, with a 90 degree Centigrade temperature rating insulation. Any 14-3 w/ground type NM-B (non metallic with 90degree C. temp. rating) cable is compatible. It is round because of the way the three insulated and one bare conductor are wound and the outer jacket color or transparency is irrelevant.

Old 07-16-11, 10:16 PM
thanks for that info, its much appreciated... so I just need a splice box thats accessible and voila! I'll still up the pictures for your viewing. The wire comes up from a crawl space continues through the top plate to the 2nd fl.

Old 07-17-11, 10:38 AM
hi guys –

In this case where would you put the splice box so it wouldn’t be obtrusive in the bathroom? Aren’t you (almost) forced to fish new wires?

Old 07-17-11, 11:18 AM
Kind of depends upon how you define "obtrusive". In my own bathroom I had to cut a hole just above the baseboard in order to drill a hole through the plate to allow a relocated thermostat cable to enter the crawlspace. It has just a low-voltage frame to hold the blank cover and I'd be surprised if very many people ever notice it even though it is not at all hidden when a person is "holding court" if you know what I mean. I'll wait for the pictures before making any specific suggestions in this case.

Old 07-17-11, 11:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You could always cut the cable high enough to be able to install a GFCI receptacle and take off that with new wiring. Beats a blank cover plate and gives more power in the room, unless it services something besides a bathroom. If it services the bathroom or kitchen countertops, you have to fish new 12-2 NM anyway, and increase the breaker size to 20 amps. Grandfathering only applies until you cut it. Pix would be nice.

Old 07-17-11, 02:46 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
One splice can be spliced in the crawlspace. The other may be easiest at the 2nd floor... but obviously you have to figure out where it goes.

14/3 wire is usually used in one of the following circumstances. Maybe it'll help you figure out what it's for:
- Smoke detectors (black for power and red for signaling so when one alarms they all do)
- Electric baseboard heater (240v)
- Multi-wire branch circuit (two separate 15A circuits through one wire)
- 3-way switch (two (or more) switches for the same lights), though since it's going between floors, it's unlikely.

Of course there are other possible purposes, but those are likely the most common

Old 07-17-11, 07:05 PM
Originally Posted by Furd View Post
... I'd be surprised if very many people ever notice it even though it is not at all hidden when a person is "holding court" if you know what I mean. I'll wait for the pictures before making any specific suggestions in this case.
Sounds good but If I’m not mistaken splice boxes larger than that in bathrooms are rare. ...but maybe I just haven’t noticed them. And as always ... “De gustibus non est disputandum”. And the female types I know are finicky.lol

Old 07-17-11, 09:11 PM
You could also hidde one box as a wall sconce with the other box i8n the basement.

Old 11-25-11, 06:04 PM
having trouble uploading pics sorry

sorry it took so long to get back I appreciate all suggestions. Utimately I discovered the 14/3 wires fed smoke detectors on the upper floors. I made the splices in the crawl space and secured the junction box to the floor joist. here are some pictures. I lucked up, there was plenty of slack in the wires in the crawl space.

Last edited by wkndwarrior37; 11-25-11 at 06:23 PM.
Old 11-25-11, 06:31 PM
Group Moderator