Wiring an Atlas lathe for forward-reverse

Old 07-17-11, 05:27 AM
Wiring an Atlas lathe for forward-reverse

I have an Atlas lathe #618 (6" x 18"). It has an Atlas motor # 38-J3-3100-2; 1/3 HP; single phase; 115-230 volts (I need to use 115 volts); 1725 RPM; 5.6 amps.

When I bought the lathe, it was wired to a simple---2 contacts-- on/off switch along with an Eaton (USA 9344, 5A/600 VAC) switch that has 6 screw terminal contacts. A wire connected the Eaton switch to the on-off switch.

The lathe works but in only one direction. The Eaton switch tests good; I called Eaton and they couldn't find any specs on their switch.

My assumption is something is not wired correctly since the lathe will only turn in one direction regardless of the position of the Eaton switch.

There are 4 wires coming from the motor (black, yellow, red, green)---the lathe manual does not help much but has a simple diagram showing the 4 color leads above along with a 1 and 2 "lead" and does say in order to reverse motor, to interchange 1 and 2, but again there are only 4 conductors in the insulated sheath coming from the motor.

Any help to get things wired correctly would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-11, 06:28 AM
Group Moderator
There should be a motor wiring diagram on the motor name plate or inside of the connection box cover. It might help the pros if you took a clear picture and posted it. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...your-post.html Is there a diagram, perhaps inside the cover, on the Eaton switch?

Last edited by ray2047; 07-18-11 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-17-11, 10:08 AM
Wiring a reversing switch, especially on a single-phase motor can be a daunting task with all the different wires but if you take your time and follow the diagrams explicitly it will work.

That stated, I do not know what diagram your Eaton switch might have nor do I know if you have enough different wires in the cable from the motor or where the power is coming from. If you can do as Ray suggests, take CLEAR pictures of the motor terminals, the motor diagram, the switch terminals and wiring diagram and post them (be sure to not shrink the pictures too much) we will be able to help you get this going.

Old 07-18-11, 04:54 AM
I will take some photos & post

Thanks, Guys.
I will take some photos & post--it will probably be a couple of days as I will need to unbolt the motor to be able to get to the appropriate area to take the photos.

Old 07-18-11, 07:06 PM
Pictures for wiring lather for forward-reverse

I scanned the diagram on the plate on the wiring "box" on the motor. I assume "low voltage" refers to 115 volts, which I am using (rather than 230 volts).There are 4 wires coming from the motor inside an insulated sheath. The power cord sheath has the standard red, white, green wire from the power cord. The green ground wire from the power cord is connected with a wire nut to a ground wire attached to an outside bolt on the motor. I have also scanned an old picture of the lathe. The third diagram scanned is a schematic of the Eaton switch and how things were wired when I obtained the lathe. The lathe runs in one direction---away from the user when standing in front of the lathe. I uploaded the images to photobucket---here is the link to the "album"--------http://s163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/jsbasb/. Pictures by jsbasb - Photobucket Please let me know if you cannot see or access the pictures. Thanks!

Old 07-18-11, 09:10 PM
Ahh I see the issue allready you are missing two conductors in the drum switch. the #1 et #2 leads are not at the switch and to order to reverse the rotation you need to swap the #1 et #2 I think I am famuiar with that drum switch arrangement.

If my memory serve me right when you set it foward the the bottom left two termails plus one at bottom right is connected I will pull the wiring diagram in a moment

Here the photo

BEFORE YOU DO THIS .,,,,, Get the ohmmeter and test the connection at the drum switch to make sure the connections is correct you will have to ring it out to see which way it is then let us know then we will assist you on this matter.

I know there is about 10 to 12 diffrent conferation to this drum switch so myself or Ibpooks or other well known members will assit you on this one I know Furd will help on this one as well.

Merci,
Marc

Old 07-18-11, 11:19 PM
Marc, it appears that he has separate switches for power and for reversing.

Tnrad, please take some pictures of the actual switches and if the reversing switch has a cover over the terminals more pictures of those terminals. It might be that you would be better off with a combination "Forward-Off-Reverse" switch similar to the diagram that Marc posted.

Old 07-19-11, 04:48 PM
Wiring a lathe with a forward-reverse switch

Hello,
I didn't take a photo of the Eaton switch because there is really nothing to be gained from that---there is no cover over the switch terminals and there is no way to take apart the switch. The plate that I scanned & posted covered a small "wiring box" on the motor---inside the box there were 4 short wires from the motor that were connected individually to the red, black, green, yellow wires that came out of that "wiring box" inside a single sheath. There were no other wires present, so I don't know the meaning of the #1 and #2 positions in the diagram on the plate that I scanned & posted. The Eaton switch does have a center/"off" position as well as an up & down position, which I assume is supposed to be for forward or reverse, but as I indicated, regardless of whether the position is up or down on the Eaton switch, the lathe motor runs in only one direction. When the simple two-terminal on-off switch is turned "on", and the Eaton switch is in the center or "off" position, the motor "makes noise" but does not turn until one puts the Eaton switch in either the up or down position. Hope this additional explanation helps. Thanks!

Old 07-19-11, 07:32 PM
Just about everything you show on the drawing is wrong. Before I detail what is necessary to use this switch I would advise you to invest in a REAL drum-type reversing switch for your machine.

You CAN wire this with only four leads between the motor and the reversing switch. The two motor wires labeled 1 and 2 need to be extended to the reversing switch where they will connect to the end terminals on one end, the same terminals that now have the jumpers (pigtails) crossing to the other terminals on the other end. It is not too important which wire is on which terminal as long as both are connected to the same end of the switch.

The center terminals of the reversing switch will connect to the motor line one and line two connections. There will be no connections to the other end terminals except the jumpers already installed.

At the motor the wire from the off-on switch will connect to one of the wires going to the center terminals of the reversing switch. Again, it is not too important which terminal. The same wire from the off-on switch will also connect to the black and yellow motor leads.

The white wire from the line cord will connect to the other center terminal of the reversing switch and to the green and red motor leads.

If you need a diagram, just ask.

CAUTION! This will NOT have the instant reversing capability of a three-phase motor. You will need to select forward or reverse BEFORE turning on the off-on switch and you will need to turn off the off-on switch before changing directions.

Old 07-20-11, 05:07 AM
Thanks,

I would appreciate a diagram.

Also, while there are wires coming from the motor that are red, green, yellow and black, there are no other wires coming from the motor so I don't believe I have any wires labeled #1 and #2.

Do you have any suggestions about a specific switch I might buy to use instead of the Eaton switch?

Thanks!!

Old 07-20-11, 09:25 AM
Okay, it may take a day or two for me to complete.