14-3 wiring

Old 07-20-11, 03:41 AM
14-3 wiring

Questions From Casper Wyoming
Can I use the black wire from a piece of 14-2 wire to add length to the red wire of my 14-3 wire? I got a little rough with the needle nose plyers and now its a tad to short.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-11, 03:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Tell us what you are doing and where the broken wire is located. In a junction box, in free air, etc.

Old 07-20-11, 04:10 AM
I am putting in a new door with side lights & I had to move the double light switch wires over 10 inches or so. I followed them to the top of the door header, drilled the holes in my rough work for the door, ran the wires down thru the holes to my electrical box opening in the sheet rock. There are two sets of wires, one 14-3 from?? but it is wired to the switch for the entry light, jumped to that is a switch running 14-2 to the porch light. Anyway, I wrapped them both together (taping the wire ends first) bent the first convienient wire back to secure my wrap and pulled those puppies thru. dumb I know (now) both sets of black and white wires survived, but the red wire ended up,,,8 inches to short. It may have been shorter to begin with, but I didn't notice. I just noticed the ding in the wire casing as I was standing there scratching my head.

Old 07-20-11, 04:31 AM
To sum it up, I have extra lengths of 14-2 wire but not 14-3. Sure would apprreciate a bit of wisdom on the question.

Old 07-20-11, 05:36 AM
Group Moderator
I really didn't follow you but you can only splice in an accessible junction box. It sounds like you want to do it in the wall which you can't do.

Old 07-20-11, 06:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
There is no issue as long as the splice is in an accessible junction box. The electricity won't know the difference. It might however lead to some confusion when installing the switches unless it is marked somehow. Red tape would work.

Old 07-20-11, 12:53 PM
What part didn't you follow Ray2047? To put it simply - I screwed up and ended up with 1 wire out of 7 wires approx 8" shorter than all the rest. I wanted to know if I could go with the easy fix. There it is plain and simple. I sure appreciate your time and your knowledge. Thanks again

Old 07-20-11, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No you cannot extend a wire inside the wall. Splices (wire connections) can only be inside accessible junction boxes. Cables and wires must be continuous between boxes.

In your case, the best fix it probably to replace the damaged cable back to the last junction box.