Shared neutral for just one fixture?

Old 07-20-11, 07:40 AM
Shared neutral for just one fixture?

I want to see if I can use the existing wiring to set up a fan and fan lights on separate switches.

Here's the situation:

I have two breakers for my downstairs lights. I'll call them A and B. They are on opposite sides of my panel.

Right now, the circuit A hot wire comes into the switch box and runs up to the ceiling box to power the fixture. The neutral for circuit A is present in the ceiling box.

The hot for circuit B is also run down to the switch box. It used to supply power for a fixture removed during a remodel. It continues on to other lights on circuit B. They are just tied together with wire nuts right now.

My question:

Can I use the circuit B hot in the switch box to power the fixture, but still use the neutral from circuit A in the ceiling box where the fixture is? It would be the only thing on circuit B that shared the neutral with circuit A.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-11, 07:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
All conductors of the circuit need to be run together in the same sheath or raceway. If this is a multiwire branch circuit, the same neutral is shared between the two circuits. Are the two hots on the same cable? Is one of the hots red and the other black?

Old 07-20-11, 08:04 AM
In the switch box, Romex from A comes down and romex from B comes down as switch runs. So, one wire in each is always hot, and the other is the hot that powers a fixture.

The ceiling box is a junction of hots and neutrals from A. The switch run powered by A in the switch box starts and ends here, too.

I just want to tap into B at the switch box to free up that hot wire from A to use it to as another switch so the light could run separately.

Old 07-20-11, 09:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you are describing two switch loops. Are the whites and blacks both connected to the switches?

Old 07-20-11, 09:34 AM
Are the A and B circuit breakers directly across from each other? In any panel that I am familiar with this would mean they are both on the same leg and that a shared neutral may NOT be used. To be certain you would need to measure the voltage between the two circuit breakers. If it is 240 volts then a shared neutral is feasible but if the voltage test is anything other (including zero) then a shared neutral may NOT be used.

Current code requires a two-pole circuit breaker for any shared neutral circuits.

Old 07-20-11, 09:48 AM
You may not use the hot from circuit A from the panel out to your new light and the neutral of circuit B from that light back to the panel.

The following has been let to slide by once in awhile on a case by case basis. Use of two 14-2 cables instead of one 14-4 cable. Cable a from ceiling box of circuit A, hot feed down to switch, switched power back to ceiling box for light A. Cable b from same ceiling box of same circuit A, neutral down to same switch box, switched power back to ceiling box and continuing on to another light B.

Old 07-21-11, 06:35 AM
Right now, the breakers are directly opposite each other in the panel and the voltage across them reads zero. So, a shared neutral isn't possible right now.

However, it wouldn't be hard to move the breaker for circuit B right beside the one for circuit A and put in a double pole. It's a matter of just swapping circuits with similar loads.

The shared neutral with A would only occur for one ceiling fan/light fixture on circuit B though. I wasn't sure if that made a difference or not. It isn't a true shared neutral between those two circuits. The rest of the lights on circuit B would have their own neutral back to the box and would not be connected to any neutral from circuit A.

Old 07-21-11, 01:45 PM
However, it wouldn't be hard to move the breaker for circuit B right beside the one for circuit A and put in a double pole. It's a matter of just swapping circuits with similar loads.
It still won't be possible because the conductors arent in the same sheath.