Hard wired disconnect

Old 07-22-11, 12:08 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hard wired disconnect

Hello, So I am installing a new cooktop and changing from the old one which was plugged in to connecting the new one by changing plug to a junction box.
Reading around on various threads I have seen mention of hard wired appliances needing a shut off within line of sight or otherwise doing something at the breaker to lock it out.
My breaker box is not within line of sight as the old one was not hard wired.
So is this something I need to be concerned with by changing to hard wired?
If so what do I need to do to make it safe in regards to this requirement?
If this effects me am I better off using a plug on my new cooktop for this reason? (However cooktop instructions don't say anything one way or another about using a plug. They only mention hard wiring).
Thank you very much.

Old 07-22-11, 12:15 PM
The plug and cord is the easiest. Otherwise you need a disconnect switch within fifty feet AND line of sight or a circuit breaker lockout device at the circuit breaker panel.

Old 07-23-11, 07:10 AM
S
Thanks for the reply. As a followup question if the new cooktop talks only about hard wiring to a junction box and doesn't mention changing to a plug (it doesn't say you can't but it doesn't say you can) do you think it would be okay to remove the wire from the cooktop and use a plug? As I said I my current one uses a plug so plugging this one and using the existing receptacle would be easier, but I don't want to damage the cooktop.
Also I have seen on other threads talk about whether or not code still allows cooktops to be plugged instead of hard wired. Is that true or does code still allow plug in? Thank you.

Old 07-23-11, 07:58 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
If it comes with a whip then you normally hardwire it.

Old 07-23-11, 08:22 PM
S
Makes sense. Thank you for the reply.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: