moved electrical outlet need to rewire

Old 07-25-11, 01:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
moved electrical outlet need to rewire

I did some remodeling and moved outlet and switch boxes, now I want to use the same plug ins and switches that were back-wired but I can't get them to release the old stubs of wire. Can I just leave those and rewire to the terminal screws instead?

Old 07-25-11, 02:08 PM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
To release, you slip a small screwdriver blade in another hole next to the wire to release the wire. The hole is rectangular that you put the screwdriver into. If you hold the wire as you push the screwdriver in you will feel the wire release. Then while still pushing on the screwdriver pull the wire out.
The stubs would likely cause a fire hazard if left in the receptacle especially if the box is metal.

Old 07-25-11, 02:29 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The receptacles that were backstabbed are resi grade. You best get nwe ones, these are very poor quality.

Old 07-25-11, 02:38 PM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
I would not re-use them, the spring mechanism inside wears out and can fail or burn up if the connection is loose. New ones with screw terminals (much better connections) will be only a few dollars.

Old 07-29-11, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thanks

I did get those buggers to finally release on the plug-ins but they wouldn't budge on the switches so I just got new ones. Thanks for the tip and advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: