Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Help with Manufacturer Name and Suggested Source for Purchase

Old 07-26-11, 09:30 PM

I am at my wits end trying to identify so that I can purchase a replace the Voltage Surge Supression Device on my bench electrical power strip which has 14 outlets which are protected by the device. I am at an end in trying to identify the manufacturer which is not stamped on the item. The device does not have an outlet as part of its makeup and information which is on it is as follows:
SA ANSI/UL 1400
LR 108381-1
PN SC003-143
ELEC RATING 120V AC 60 HZ
DATE CODE - 0202c
US PATENT #5761021
USE INDOORS LOCATIONS ONLY

These photos are of the actual item which I hope helps.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/P7260485.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/P7260482.jpg
http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q...s/P7260480.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-11, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I can't help with identifying that part. However, you can buy receptacles with built-in surge protection.

Old 07-27-11, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator
Well...looks like it's probably 9 years old...may not make it anymore. Do a search for "plug in surge suppressor" or "2 outlet surge suppressor" and you'll find plenty of alternatives...some appear lower profile than the one you show.

Most run about $40-50....anything less has very poor protection ratings and appear to be off brands.

A complete new outlet as PCBOSS mentioned would run about the same or less if it can fit in the box.

Old 07-27-11, 10:26 AM
I am at work and can't get your photos to come up. By using the Patent number as a reference, I came up with Ultra Products Corp. as the manufacturer. http://directories.csa-international...sl/certrec.xsl
Will have to take a look at item when I get home.

Old 07-27-11, 01:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I had one from Radio Shack which looked similar. They still have one but it looks different.

Why not just use a regular surge protector strip and plug your bench strip into it?

Old 07-27-11, 03:35 PM
Why not just use a regular surge protector strip and plug your bench strip into it?
That would be against code, because the plug strips are only listed to be plugged directly into the wall, and are not to be daisychained.

Does your Bench use like a plugmold, or regular receptacle boxes mounted to the bench?

Old 07-27-11, 06:00 PM
The strip has a cord which plugs into a regular receptical. It appears that the item is no longer available so, quess I will have to replace the whole strip with another. Thanks to all for your input.

Old 07-27-11, 06:16 PM
I am at my wits end trying to identify so that I can purchase a replace the Voltage Surge Supression Device on my bench electrical power strip which has 14 outlets which are protected by the device.
What's wrong with the one you have now? Why do you want to replace it?

Old 07-27-11, 10:11 PM
Just got a chance to look at picures. The thing didn't look anything like I thought it would!!! LOL
From your discription, you plug the 14 receptical power strip into this device and it is plugged into a wall outlet. It is called a Point of Service Surge protector. Or like Gunguy said, you could replace your wall outlet with a surge protected outlet.
Good luck.

Old 07-28-11, 10:21 PM
I probably did not explain clearly so I will try again. I will describe the power strip itself.....The strip is black metal and has 14 recepticals. If you are looking at the strip from the front, on the extreme right is a rocker switch that turns the power on to the strip. At the extreme left this protective device is plugged in so occupies the last receptical on the power strip. The whole strip has a power cord on one end that plugs directly into a wall receptical for power. Since the device I am looking to replace plugs into one of the recepticals on the power strip, it protects the entire line of recepticals on the strip. I was working on a fan and caused a short circuit which blew the device. The device itself is not re-setable like some are. Also, the device body is fully enclosed (nothing plugs into it).

I cannot continue using the strip without replacing the device pictured. Hope this description helps to clarify what I am up against. If I was an electrician I would perhaps be able change the wiring within the strip itself so that this device would not be necessary as any future short circuit would then trip the circuit breaker that controls power to the receptical on the wall.

Old 07-29-11, 06:53 AM
Group Moderator
Are you saying it does not have a female inlet on the side not pictured? Probably everyone who has responded thought it did.

Old 07-29-11, 09:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Do you mean that you cannot use the strip now because of a safety concern or because it actually will not function? If it actually doesn't function you may want to ring it out with an ohmmeter because the short circuit might have loosened or burned off a wire inside the strip in addition to toasting the suppressor module.

If that device is a typical surge suppressor then you can replace the receptacle the strip plugs in to with a surge protector receptacle to have same effect. Surge protectors work in parallel with the load so it doesn't really matter where they are located in the circuit.

Old 07-29-11, 10:53 AM
If there is no power to the rceeptacles on the plug strip, look for a button on the plug strip, it is a circut breaker and might have tripped.

Old 08-01-11, 08:03 AM
As I understand it, you have a 14 receptacle switched power strip. This surge protector plugged into one of the outlets and protected all of them? I can't see why you can't buy a single outlet surge protector to plug your power strip into, and continue to use it as usual. I've seen the type of surge protector you have, without a female outlet of its own, and the idea was to plug it into an outlet and it would supposedly protect all the outlets on that circuit. I'd think a modern surge protector feeding your power strip would offer more surge protection than this unit.

Old 08-01-11, 01:37 PM
Yes, I was assuming the device had a female side to it. Try using your power strip without the device plugged into it. You should have power to the outlets. If not, look for a reset button or perhaps there is a fuse on the strip itself.
This sounds like it is a surge protection device that is connected in parallel with the other outlets and shouldn't affect the strip from working if the device isn't present.
Check the wall outlet you have the power strip plugged into, to ensure you have power there.