Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

When I turn circuit breaker off I still see 16V on teh line

Old 07-28-11, 10:59 AM

Hi all,
I recently discover some weird behavior with my home electrical installation.
When I turn the circuit breaker off for the refrigerator circuit I still see 16V on teh line.
Shouldn't the voltage go down to zero, or at least very close to it?
It appears that in order for the voltage to go zero I have to turn off another circuit breaker as well, the one that controls the hood/range circuit.
Do you think there is some kind of a short? Any suggestions how I can trouble shoot the problem?

Btw, there is another section of the house that need two circuit breakers to be turned off in order to not have any electricity. For that particular section, but turning off only one of the two circuit breakers I still have full power. Only if I turn off BOTH of them does the electricity go off.

Thanks in advance for the responses,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-11, 11:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are using a digital meter it may be a false reading called phantom voltage that appears when you measure an unloaded circuit. Try doing the measurement again with a table lamp plugged in and turned on somewhere on the circuit. Or use a simple two lead neon bulb or solenoid style tester.

Old 07-28-11, 12:04 PM
I recently discover some weird behavior with my home electrical installation.
When I turn the circuit breaker off for the refrigerator circuit I still see 16V on teh line.
Shouldn't the voltage go down to zero, or at least very close to it?
It appears that in order for the voltage to go zero I have to turn off another circuit breaker as well, the one that controls the hood/range circuit.
Do you think there is some kind of a short? Any suggestions how I can trouble shoot the problem?
As ben mentioned, It's phantom voltage. Don't worry about it.
Btw, there is another section of the house that need two circuit breakers to be turned off in order to not have any electricity. For that particular section, but turning off only one of the two circuit breakers I still have full power. Only if I turn off BOTH of them does the electricity go off.
You may have hots crossed somewhere.

Last edited by ray2047; 07-28-11 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Remove non-applicable comment that might be confusing.
Old 07-30-11, 10:53 PM
Could it be a safety mechanism in case your fridge circuit cuts off? It may use the 16v keep it cool.

Old 07-30-11, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by alienscience View Post
Could it be a safety mechanism in case your fridge circuit cuts off? It may use the 16v keep it cool.
Not a chance. A refrigerator won't run with only 16 volts.