Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Parts of the house has power, some parts don't, circuit breaker not tripped

Old 08-01-11, 08:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have an interesting situation. My wife canít sleep without the fan going, so late last night I was awoken from my sleep because I heard the fan cut off. First thing I thought, oh great the powers out. So I turned over and my alarm clock was still on. Weíve had problems with the outlet that the fan was plugged in before, so I move the fan to another outlet in the room and went back to sleep.

Fast forward to this morning, my wife woke me up to tell me that parts of the house have power and others donít. I checked the circuit breaker and none of them were tripped. I called my brother, who happens to be an electrician and he suggested I flip the main and then go through and flip each of the individual circuits to see if it would restore power to the other parts of the house. I think I went through that procedure twice, but it didnít work. At some point, the power did come back on in the other parts of the house, but did eventually go back off. It was the same as before, the power wasnít working in those same areas. I donít remember if I flipped the main circuit breaker, but I did flip a few of individual circuit breakers. Nothing, however, it did come back on eventually, but by the time I was about leave for work it had gone back off. Again only certain parts of the house had power.

Since, my brother wonít be able to come by until this evening, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on what it could be. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-11, 09:50 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think you dropped a leg. You will have to wait for your brother on this one, as it involves working on unfused lines.

Old 08-01-11, 10:02 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Call the emergency number for the power company. Tell them you seem to have an intermittent open on one of the legs. They should respond quickly. If it is on their side they will fix it for free. If it is on your side they may at least be able to tell you what it is,

Turn off the all 240 breakers till it is fixed and unplug any expensive to replace electronics just to be double safe.

It may not be an intermittent dropped leg but that is what it sounds like. Do you have an above ground line to the meter? Has there been some wind? The wind could cause the problem if a loose connection.

Old 08-01-11, 07:02 PM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
Since, my brother wonít be able to come by until this evening
Please let us know what it turns out to be.