Help me figure this wire connector!

Old 08-01-11, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help me figure this wire connector!

Hi there,
I have this wire connector (that came with a recessed light housing.).

It's a little plastic box, about 1 inch by 1 inch by 1/4 inch (4 quarters will fit into it snugly.)

It has 3 holes in it and one is taken by the housing wire. I am expected to use the other holes to connect my wire(s) to the housing wire.

I can't figure out how to open this box or how to insert a wire into one of these holes! Can someone explain?

I can simply cut it off and use a good old wire nut because this connector looks like flimsy stuff, but I am curious.

Thanks
AW

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-11, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Got pix? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
What you have is probably a push connector. One hole must have the wire to your "fixture", not the housing, and yes the matching house wiring, whether it is black, white , or bare, will be pushed into a hole along side this one. You don't open it. You just push the wires in and they stay (one way)

Old 08-01-11, 07:11 PM
Thanks Chandler.
A one way insert makes sense. Hence the encapsulated nature of this thingie.
Here's a pix.

I think I will go with a wire nut. I don't trust this thing...especially since access will be difficult after all the dry wall is closed up.

Thanks again.
AW

Originally Posted by chandler View Post
Got pix? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html
What you have is probably a push connector. One hole must have the wire to your "fixture", not the housing, and yes the matching house wiring, whether it is black, white , or bare, will be pushed into a hole along side this one. You don't open it. You just push the wires in and they stay (one way)

Old 08-01-11, 07:21 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
Is it a two piece connector where the two pieces plug together? Your pictures are a little fuzzy. I suspect it is intended to serve as the fixture disconnect. If I am right, some sort of disconnect is now required by code for non-residential fluorescent fixtures. Does your fixture have a ballast and use compact fluorescent lamps? Regardless, if this is being used in a residential installation a disconnect shouldn't be required.

This is the one by Ideal I am more familiar with.

IDEAL INDUSTRIES, INC. - Press Releases

Old 08-01-11, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No Joe, it's the regular one-way Ideal push-ins that we were discussing in that other thread. They come pre-installed on Halo and Commercial Electric (and possibly other brand) recessed fixtures. They are permanent with no means of disassembly or reuse.

Alex, they are quite secure in their design. I just installed two dozen Halo fixtures in my basement and I have no reason to question their connector integrity. And in case you were wondering, the connections will still be accessible once the ceiling is finished. You simply unfasten the can from the mounting bracket and pull it all the way out. That's why the junction box has removable covers on both sides.

Old 08-01-11, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Matt is correct except they are not permanent. To remove the wire you use a pulling and twisting motion at the same time and the wire will come out. It does take quite a bit of force so you know the wire is not going to just pop out. They are, however, not reusable.

All you need to do is strip your wire about 1/2" and push it into an open hole.

Old 08-01-11, 07:49 PM
It's one little box...actually more of a puzzle than a box and accepts multiple wires into that. It's certainly not a disconnect and it's for residential use. Maybe I'll crack it open to check it out

Old 08-01-11, 07:53 PM
Just saw Matt and Tolyn's posts after I sent my last reply.
Matt, silly of me to think that there will be no access post installation! After all, this is a remodel unit.
Thanks for the info, guys. I am good to go.

Old 08-01-11, 07:54 PM
Received 29 Votes on 23 Posts
No Joe, it's the regular one-way Ideal push-ins that we were discussing in that other thread
I can see that now Matt. Your picture is a lot more clear.