move light switch wire to short

Old 08-04-11, 09:58 PM
move light switch wire to short

So I'm moving a light switch 6 inches there is 4 different run's of wire coming into this switch box. They are to short to get the outer shields of the wire in to the new places switch box. What is my options. (junction box behind the wall or and approved wire extensions ?

thanks\
Tipback

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-11, 05:39 AM
Junction Box

All junction boxes must be accessable and must not be concealed by any permanent wall covering.

Old 08-05-11, 05:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! You can't hide a junction box in the wall, so that's out. You have to get the outer casing of the cable in the box strain relief, so you are facing a problem. Sometimes, not always, you may be able to free enough cable by opening up the wall and loosening staples, or moving the cable over to the next bay (if that is where it goes). It will require some sheetrock finishing, but it would be better to check it out first than to go with your ONLY other alternative....run new cabling. Are the cables coming from above or below? Is the ceiling joist area accessible? is the floor joist area accesssible?
Ken types faster than I do.

Old 08-05-11, 03:21 PM
thanks for the help. I'm running to menards to night to see if I can find a shallow 2 or 3 switch wide box that has a cover plate that only exposes 1 switch opening. I think if I find that I can cut notch on the 2x4 and straddle it to get the wires in the box. Finding extra wire in the wall is out . The guy that wired it did waist a inch of copper and pulled everything tight. At least I know the house won't blow a way , the wiring will hold the house tight to the foundation. My only other option is to get up in the attic and see if there is any extra wire of shift the down hole on the other side of the 2x4. Just a shame that I have to move a light switch in a bathroom so my youngest can reach it , in a new constructed house. Thanks Lennar

Old 08-05-11, 03:49 PM
Why am I thinking there could be other solutions while you wait for him/her to add a few inches?

Should we toss that thought around? ie a wireless to give him his own switch, a length of something configured so he can push up or pull down, a motion sensor so no switch is needed.

Bud

Old 08-05-11, 05:56 PM
Or a step stool! My goodness, don't reinvent the wheel when the wheel will be 6'7" in a few years.

Old 08-06-11, 06:21 AM
Growing Up

I also recommend a step stool.

Old 08-06-11, 10:20 PM
Umm rather than moving the switch, how about you install one of these? Theyre 10 bucks at Amazon and Toys R Us...

Then in 3 weeks when he grows those 4 inches, you can remove it!