GFCI Circuit Problem

Old 08-06-11, 07:33 AM
GFCI Circuit Problem

I have a problem with a GFCI circuit in my garage (lights, outlets, garage door openers). There is a light switch by the door used to enter the house from the garage. Sometimes, turning this light switch on causes the breaker to trip. It seems that using the garage door openers do not trip it, just the switch.
The house was built in 1983. We bought the house two years ago and had some electrical work done - including adding the GFCI circuit form the garage. Prior to adding the GFCI circuit, we had no problem in using the light switch.
I had an electrician from the company that installed the GFCI to look at the problem. He thought it was the lights, so he tested by bypassing each of the four lights. Eventually he gave up and indicated he could not determine what the problem was.
This problem is not weather dependent. I can start flipping the switch up and down at any time, and eventually the breaker will trip.
For the past year, we have been using the garage door opener light (this does not seem to trip the circuit) instead of using the main lights.
Does anyone have any ideas or tests to run to determine where the problem lies? Or do I need a major rewiring of the garage.
Thanks,
Ken

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-11, 07:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you tripping the breaker or the GFi?

Old 08-06-11, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
Are you tripping the breaker or the GFi?
It is a GFCI Circuit Breaker - controls the whole circuit. No GFI outlets.
Ken

Old 08-06-11, 09:09 AM
What type of lights are they?

Old 08-06-11, 09:40 AM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
What type of lights are they?
They appear to be fairly cheap 48" flouescent (2-bulb) fixtures. Lamps are Philips F32T8/TL735.
Ken

Old 08-06-11, 09:58 AM
Group Moderator
Try disconnecting the lights one by one to test individually. then try the switch. If it doesn't trip it is the light. If it still trips itry another. I know the electrician did this but we need to start somewhere..

Old 08-06-11, 09:59 AM
Originally Posted by kenslaterpa View Post
They appear to be fairly cheap 48" flouescent (2-bulb) fixtures. Lamps are Philips F32T8/TL735.
Ken
I have heard of issues with cheap fluorescent lights tripping gfci's, and this sounds like one of them