GFCI tripping

Old 08-06-11, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator
GFCI tripping

After spending an hour yesterday, unplugging everything on the circuit...EXCEPT...read on) trying to find why my GFCI was tripping and killing my bath, outdoor and some garage outlets....I finally broke down and swapped in a regular outlet so I could get on with my business (posting here, having a beer, and cleaning up the garage a bit).

Planned on going to buy a new one today, though the removed one was only about 4 yrs old.

Thinking more clearly today, I realized I had put new pads in my garage swamp cooler (on the same circuit) and it was a bit windy...so I had some water droplets blowing through the grill. Pulled the outside cover off and it was pretty wet inside the housing.

The spray has happened before after a pad change (much more airflow)...but never had the GFCI trip.

Think that would have caused enough of an issue to make the GFCI trip? Guess thats kind of its job right?

So...buy new..or put it back in?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-11, 11:22 AM
I would just buy a new one.

Old 08-06-11, 11:51 AM
Group Moderator
I would put it back in and see what happens. Maybe have a new one on hand just in case (IMO its a good thing to have on hand anyway). My guess is some water got where it's not to supposed to be and that tripped the GFCI. After it drys out life should be back to normal.

I just defrosted my freezer outside the other day. Plugged everything back in, filled it back up, everything worked just fine. Left for a little while and came back and the garage door openers would not work. Turns out the GFCI popped. After things dried out all was well.

Old 08-06-11, 01:17 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As y'all can attest to, there are certain things that shouldn't be on GFCI due to nuisance trips and I should think your circuit with the bath, garage and outdoor should be segregated a little.

Old 08-06-11, 02:35 PM
Group Moderator
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
As y'all can attest to, there are certain things that shouldn't be on GFCI due to nuisance trips
In this case I don't believe that this is a nuisance trip. Although Gunguy may find it to be a nuisance. I think something got wet that shouldn't and caused the leaking current.

Old 08-06-11, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator
Yeah...if you've never had a small swamp cooler, it pulls the outside air across the pads, via a motor with 2 squirrel cage fans mounted on the shaft, then blows it out the front panel into the room. The same panel where the control switch is is housed in a small moisture resistant metal box. Sooo...with the amount of spray I had from the new pads...the motor and the switch may have gotten some. And lets not forget the pump that basically is plugged into a short extension cord inside the outer cabinet with the pads and fan motor. Hmmmm wonder why everything you can touch is all plastic?

I probably left the pump running too long without any airflow and they got really saturated. After 45 min or so they were not spraying at all. And ohhhh baby...I waited too long to change them. Old ones were giving me about 15 degrees or so below outside temp. Right now it's 101 and I'm getting 72 air out. And that's on low speed. Course the humidity went from around 16% yesterday to 4% right now. Gotta love these things when the conditions are right.

Think I'll prob swap the old GFCI back in after I have a new one on hand.

And no way I'm doing all the work just to split a circuit or two. Panel is outside on the back wall, so I'd have to go up into the very back corner of the attic in the low area, bring it all the way up to the front and get right to the very edge or bring it inside the garage somehow.
Maybe I'll explore the wiring and see if it would be possible to split it somewhere a little more accessible and put a J Box up there....but no time soon. With just 2 of us here, it's not like anything is ever overloaded...unless I forget and have the miter saw and dust vac running when she needs to vacuum the house or dry her hair.

At least the lights and fan in the bathrooms are on their own breaker.

Old 08-06-11, 07:12 PM
Group Moderator
As long as your not having any problems with how the circuits are wired, I don't blame you for leaving it. There are thousands of homes wired the same as yours.