outside receptacle- upside down OK?

Old 08-07-11, 07:36 AM
outside receptacle- upside down OK?

Does an outside receptacle that is mounted upside down, require a in-use cover? To better describe the mounting, it is located at a boat davit, the metal box would be supported by unistrut or similar.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 08:01 AM
Group Moderator
Do you mean with the plug-ins pointing to the ground? If so why is it not being mounted with the plug-ins facing perpendicular to the ground?

Old 08-07-11, 08:16 AM
I would put an in-use cover on it. The water can run down the side and then underneath. It's not guaranteed to drip straight down.

Old 08-07-11, 08:30 AM
Requirements for receptacle covers are based on whether itís considered a damp or a wet location. 99.99%+ of the time, an outdoor receptacle will be considered at least Ďa damp locationí. Orientation of the receptacle is irrelevant.

Old 08-07-11, 10:34 AM
I wouls just pay the 6 bucks for a bubble cover.

Old 08-07-11, 01:45 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Boat davit??? I'd say damp/wet location for sure. Bubble cover, as Justin said, will allow you to keep things plugged in with the cover closed.
SD515, the receptacle can't be mounted in the up position, so it's position is important.....or relevant.
I am not sure, but "upside down" may mean back of the box "up". Is any one else getting that impression? It could mean grounding lug up, but we need clarification. How 'bout it telecom guy?

Old 08-07-11, 06:38 PM
Why? Countertops & similar work surfaces in dwelling units canít be installed face-up. 406.4(E) [2008NEC] Thatís the only restriction to face up I know of. Floor receptacles are face up much of the time. Granted in an outdoor installation, it may not always be the best idea, but itís not prohibited. So orientation of an outside receptacle is irrelevant. All damp or wet located receptacles require some kind of cover, what kind depends on the situation.

I also agree with using an in-use cover, as Justin mentioned. FWIW, I got the impression telecom guy meant the receptacle would be face down.

Old 08-07-11, 07:59 PM
In my case, yes, the receptacle would be "looking at the ground". An in-use cover would likely just lay open. And yes, outside, totally in the elements.

Old 08-07-11, 08:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't see why code-wise it would be exempt from an in-use cover. I think NEC-wise it would be required.

Also, I'd hesitate installing a receptacle face-down as the spring steel that holds the plug in will be marginal at best at holding the plug in. Twist lock on the other hand would be a good way to go.

Just some thoughts...

Old 08-07-11, 08:39 PM
I would install a bubble cover. The ones I use from intermatic snap shut. This will help protect against splashes and hose-downs as well as bee spray. I would install a very high-quality receptacle as it may be supporting the cord at times.

Old 08-07-11, 09:17 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I would install a very high-quality receptacle as it may be supporting the cord at times.
agreed; am planning to use that yellow plastic and stainless recept at about $14 for this one site. Will either go conventional or upside down, either way with the cover, Thanks all. Maybe on the twist lock, but the plug/recept is also used for the emergency disconnect, in case the user switch gets stuck and some high value object is being lifted!

Old 08-07-11, 09:29 PM
To use the inuse cover on boat davit { this word took me a min to figure it out }

However if mounted very high the point where the splashing water not hitting the WP bell box and faced down then IMO the standard flapper WP cover will do it allright unless something may cause to come loose then a high grade receptale with good grade plug will do it { in France we have to use the IEC pin/sleeve or twistlockers but most use the IEC pins due they will NOT pull off at all }

Otherwise a WP NEMA 4X non fused disconnect switch will suit this puropse for emergecy disconnect { otherwise it cheaper to just get a 1 gang bell box or FS box with well builted switch cover that will serve the purpose as well }

Merci,
Marc

Old 08-08-11, 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by SD515 View Post
Granted in an outdoor installation, it may not always be the best idea, but itís not prohibited.
Yeah, but sometimes you have to use common sense. Why would you mount a receptacle face up in an area that gets direct rain/water splash? Even bubble covers will allow water infiltration if placed in the face up position due to the cabling holes. BUT, since telecom guy did clarify that he was contemplating a face down installation, it's a moot point.
Telecom guy, I believe with the bubble cover, if you have the option of mounting it face out, you would gain adequate protection, and security of the receptacle/plug connection. The bubble cover helps to keep it all pulled together and won't flop in that position. As an added security, any holes, including the conduit plugs, I would chase with silicone.

Old 08-08-11, 05:27 PM
I've seen lots of receptacles mounted in the ceiling. I would buy the best quality receptacle in this case because the cheaper ones might be single swipe.

Old 08-08-11, 07:29 PM
Yeah, but sometimes you have to use common sense. Why would you mount a receptacle face up in an area that gets direct rain/water splash? Even bubble covers will allow water infiltration if placed in the face up position due to the cabling holes.
I have one that works in face-up position.
I've seen lots of receptacles mounted in the ceiling. I would buy the best quality receptacle in this case because the cheaper ones might be single swipe.
I would use a 5362 from hubbell.

Old 08-09-11, 04:58 AM
Justin, they WORK in the face up position, but on a boat dock I don't think it would be advisable to collect water in the box, do you? The cabling holes will allow blown water to enter the box. Now, if you don't cut the cabling holes, you may be OK, but then you can't insert a cable and have the bubble cover perform it's duties closed up. Just a thought.