How are fan boxes attached to ceiling.

Old 08-07-11, 12:15 PM
How are fan boxes attached to ceiling.

I have a leak coming thru my exhaust fan in the bathroom. Went on roof didnt see anything. I'm trying to take the fan out to see from inside. I got the fan out, but cant see how the box is attached. No screw heads going out. Saw one coming in, but wasn't holding me up. Seems like its only attached on one side. Thanks!!:helpme 2:

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-11, 12:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ceiling box fans should have nothing to do with water infiltration from the roof. There may be condensation from the exhaust hose if it is tilted back toward the fan and it could run in. The fans are generally only held in on one side with two screws/nails. I don't think removing it will help determine your leak. Where does the fan exhaust? Roof, soffit, siding?

Old 08-07-11, 12:36 PM
There is usually an outside bracket. They're not meant to be taken out.

Old 08-07-11, 05:47 PM
The fan exhausts out of the roof. I checked around the pipe that comes out of the roof, from the roof. I wanted to remove the fan to check underside of roof to see where the leak was coming from. Its a real tight fit if I was to crawl thru the attic to get to that area.

The fan is not on when water leaks thru. And it only leaks when its raining so its def. in the roof I just wanted to see from inside where the leak was.