Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Is it possible to change Circuit breaker to Buss fuse socket type?

Is it possible to change Circuit breaker to Buss fuse socket type?

Old 08-12-11, 07:06 PM
I don't think that ''brown'' wire was brown when it was installed.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-11, 07:09 PM
Thank you for the extra pictures.

It is obvious that your neighbor (the one with the double-pole circuit breaker) has a dual voltage service as opposed to your single voltage service. Even though he still has only a 30 ampere main circuit breaker he has double the amount of POWER.

You would need to have the cable from your apartment panel to the main circuit breaker (in the electrical equipment room) replaced with a three-wire (plus equipment ground) cable of no less than #10 size. How difficult this would be depends upon how it is routed. You do not have conduit so that alone makes it much more difficult. You would also need to have the SERVICE CONDUCTORS between the kilowatt meter and the main circuit breaker replaced, adding the required third wire (second "hot" wire) and also improve the equipment grounding. The panel in the apartment would need to be reconnected to take advantage of the new "feeder" cable and dual voltage supply. After that you really need additional circuits installed in the apartment.

Definitely not a DIY job and definitely will require permitting along with utility involvement.

Old 08-12-11, 07:14 PM
Originally Posted by Justin Smith View Post
I don't think that ''brown'' wire was brown when it was installed.
A combination of age and temperature will cause this color change. Since it is a simple 120 volt circuit you can look at the black wire to see if there has been insulation degradation from being overloaded and too hot. I don't see any damage to the black wire so it follows that the discoloration of the white (to brown) is not caused by excessive heat.

Old 08-12-11, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
And the jumper between the two hot legs of the sub may not be legal because of double lugging. When you adjust the gamma you can see the wire is "old" white not brown. I don't see the red at the sub. I wonder if it was cut off. Not good but is that 20a breaker over amped.

Old 08-12-11, 08:59 PM
Group Moderator
Looking at adjusted pictures it seems the red may be the third wire for a 120/240 and the conduit may provide a ground. Still got my fingers crossed for Niesian the cable to the apartment is 10-3 with the red cut off.

Adjusted main panel pic:

Old 08-13-11, 06:49 AM
And the jumper between the two hot legs of the sub may not be legal because of double lugging.
The double lugging with the jumper is definitely a code violation, but it wouldn't be necessary if the single pole breakers were installed in the proper positions (1 & 3 rather than 3 & 4). All the double lugging does is heat up two additional spaces which obviously is not necessary since there are only two circuits in the apartment.

Old 08-13-11, 10:30 AM
Further, those main lugs are too large for the #12 or #10 conductors installed. The minimum wire size for those lugs is probably #4 but possibly #6. A back-fed "main" breaker (with proper hold-down) could have been installed in one slot and then the proper size jumper installed between the main lugs.

Bottom line, it is just a lousy installation all around.

Old 08-13-11, 10:51 AM
Group Moderator
Makes you wonder what a Jersey AHJ would say. Just depends on how much your willing to PO the landlord. Certainly though you do a need an opinion from a licensed electrician that does not work for the landlord. The landlord's EC who you were considering calling may be responsible for this mess in the first place.

Old 08-13-11, 01:56 PM
Makes you wonder what a Jersey AHJ would say. Just depends on how much your willing to PO the landlord. Certainly though you do a need an opinion from a licensed electrician that does not work for the landlord.
I think it would be a great idea to call and see how quick it gets replaced. I don't think he can evict you for calling.

Old 08-14-11, 03:28 PM
Here are pictures part 2.

Electrical wires go thru basement ceiling 1, 2, 3.

ray2047:

I replace the fuse quite often so I can assure you that I only saw one buss fuse socket in the main panel. There is no sign of a second fuse. I do had two fuses socket in the kitchen though.

Does AHJ and PO stand for Authority Housing Jurisdiction and piss off?

I will ask my neighbors if they can recommend any reliable electrician and see what his / her recommendation is.

In the mean time, I wonder by swapping the single pole 30A to a dual poles 30A will it at least increase the circuit breaker thermal?

Old 08-14-11, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
No, single pole and 2 pole have the same characteristics.

Please let us know what the electrician says and get it in writing for the landlord.

Old 08-15-11, 01:26 PM
Ok, will post a follow up as soon as I can find an electrician. I am not sure that I will be able to find an electrician for a small job like this though.

Does anyone know a trusted web-site that one can find a reliable electrician?

Old 08-15-11, 03:08 PM
Group Moderator
Being south of the Mason Dixon line I have only heard rumors they exist but if they do you might call the union hall and see if they can help. Wait though till big city Yankees can wade in on if that is a good idea.

Old 08-15-11, 03:51 PM
Old 08-16-11, 05:20 PM
Just receive the MA-16544 datalogger today.

The load are 2 ACs with compressor kick in, TV+Receiver are on but nothing is playing ie no picture or sound, 3 tower fans, PC, 2 lights (4 CFL bulb 23W each).

MA-16544, made in China, displays 14.5 and 15A.
Extech 380941, made in Taiwan, calibrated valid until 04/2012 displays between 19.5 and 20.5A.
Calculation: 7 (8000 BTU) + 5.5 (6000 BTU) + ~3A + .6 X 3 + 2 + .8 (92W / 115V) = 20.1

I think the MA-16544 is piece of junk. I am getting an Extech DL150 and hope that it will be a better product. Strangely, both looks very similar from the picture.

Old 08-16-11, 05:57 PM
Group Moderator
I'd get the electrician before spending more money. That should be proof enough.