New to Forum...

Old 08-08-11, 12:44 PM
New to Forum...

Have a bit of a problem. I'm installing 3 inch cannister lights in my kitchen. i have all of them in the ceiling and connected parallel to each other and ready to connect them to the electric. OK...i had a single light fixture in the middle of the room connected to a switch on the wall. I'm using this switch for the recessed lighting. SO...i go up in the attic and in the box where the center light was. I find a wire that is connected to the front part of my living room which controls 3 receptacles and 4 other cannister lights. (we are getting close to my problem, bare with me) the other wires i see, is a wire coming from and electric outlet (which is coming from the outside by my deck. I figure that is the power. and the other wire is the switch wire. I did connect a wire from the new light to the attic. Now...i have four wires..one from the switch..one coming from my living room..one from the new lighting...and one from an outside receptacle which i confirmed is the power. My question is how do i connect these wires and make everything work. Thanks for reading and would appreicate any help

Bo

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-11, 01:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums!! Connect them just like they were before...........uh, oh, you didn't take notes, nor a picture, did you . Start with the cable with power, attach the black wire from the living room and the white wire from the switch loop to the black power cable wire. Attach the black wire to the new lighting to the black wire of the switch loop. Connect all the remaining whites together. Oh, yeah, if they are contained in a sheath, it is a "cable" with individual "wires" inside the sheath, just to cut down on confusion. I am assuming the living room run has switch(es) along its run. If that is not the case, let us know.

Old 08-08-11, 01:07 PM
Could you possiblt take a picture of it, please?
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Old 08-08-11, 01:27 PM
chandler..
When i do what you stated. the switch is controling my living room lights. When i turn the kitchen lights off..the living room lights are ok but when i turn them on the lights in the living room go off

Old 08-08-11, 02:09 PM
The switch to your can lights should only be controlling them, unless you didn't tell us about the living room switch set up. Like Justin said, a pic would be really worth it. These things we can do on the jobsite with a blindfold on, but telling someone how to do it is really a test.

Old 08-08-11, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
The switch to your can lights should only be controlling them, unless you didn't tell us about the living room switch set up. Like Justin said, a pic would be really worth it. These things we can do on the jobsite with a blindfold on, but telling someone how to do it is really a test.
We have an electrical storm going on right now...lights going on and off...when it's over i'll send some pictures. Thanks

Bo

Old 08-09-11, 08:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
To make it simpler can you just connect the cable to the new light from same wires that powered the old fixture wiring? No need to reinvent the wheel.

Old 08-09-11, 01:57 PM
Jim, he has separated 4 cables worth of wiring, so he may be in a quandary as to how they all go back together. That was the premise of my first post, just to reconnect them, but he had already done the deed

Old 08-10-11, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks Larry, I had hoped that was not the case.

Old 08-10-11, 05:46 AM
Group Moderator
Now...i have four wires..
No, you have 4 cables*. Does each of the cables have 2 wires plus a ground? What color wires are connected to the switch? Is there only one switch in that box? How many cables at the light? Do you have a test light or multimeter.

*A cable is a non-metallic or metallic sheath containing 2 or more conductors and usually a bare ground wire. Older cables of both types and some newer metallic sheathed cables will not contain a ground wire.