Bolt-On Circuit Breaker

Old 08-09-11, 06:47 PM
Bolt-On Circuit Breaker

Two part question about a square D bolt-on circuit breaker.

The service is 240v, and the main shut off breaker is a 100 amp Square D "bolt-on" circuit breaker (link below, in case I am poorly describing).

The breaker is faulty and needs to be replaced.

First question: Do I need to loosen the lugs and remove each leg of the service from the breaker in order to replace it? I'm used to replacing plug-in style breakers, and have never encountered a bolt-on. Seems like legs need to be removed....

Second question: As there is no shut off before the panel, can the breaker be removed without contacting the power company to disconnect on top of the pole? I'd prefer to not have to call, but am very willing to do so if need be. Not worth the risk, obviously.

In case it is pertinent, for whatever reason the meter is AFTER the panel.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-11, 06:50 PM
Old 08-09-11, 07:13 PM
Group Moderator
YES! You must kill the power to the panel in order to safely change this main breaker. The meter can not be after the panel, otherwise there is no way to meter the power usage. Unless you are stealing power? :shock:
Likely the PoCo will not have to climb the pole, they will just come out a pull the meter. That will kill the power to your panel.

You will have to loosen both lugs and remove the wires from the bad breaker. The breaker will also likely needed to be unbolted from the panel busses.

Old 08-09-11, 07:38 PM
As suspected. Thanks.

I should have been more clear in my first post. The meter is in fact after the panel. The service enters the panel and meets the 100amp bolt on breaker, next is a 15 amp breaker, and from the 15 amp, #12s pass through conduit into the meter. From the meter, #12s pass through conduit and power a device.

It's legitimate. This was built by the power company. Much appreciated.

Old 08-09-11, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
The service enters the panel and meets the 100amp bolt on breaker, next is a 15 amp breaker, and from the 15 amp, #12s pass through conduit into the meter. From the meter, #12s pass through conduit and power a device.
Do you mean an inductive pick up? What exactly does this power? Maybe the pros will understand this but I don't understand it. You have a single 15a load? Why then a 100a main breaker? If 15a why *12 wires. If inductive pick up I still don't understand the location. Is this commercial?

Old 08-10-11, 05:14 PM
If this is a cold sequence disconnect then yes, you should have the power company disconnect power before changing the breaker.

Old 08-10-11, 07:55 PM
This powers an impressed current rectifier, used to protect steel piping from corrosion. The rectifier converts AC to DC that drives an anode bed.

Not exactly sure what you mean by inductive pick up....but the answer to your other questions is that the panel itself was put together by a sub-contractor without a clue. The panel is much larger than it needs to be, the 100 amp breaker could have been avoided, the 15 amp should be a 20amp, or the #12s should have been #14s, the 240v to the unit could have been 120v, the list goes on.

I work on pipelines, but even I recognized a poorly thought out and excessive electrical installation. In any case, had the power company out and got it fixed up. Works like new. It was a fun troubleshoot despite the minor headaches. Always like the opportunity to work with electrical, within my limits.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-10-11, 08:45 PM
Group Moderator
You got it. That is the important thing. Thanks for letting us know.