Need to get these wires to go through studs!

Old 08-11-11, 05:08 AM
Need to get these wires to go through studs!

Hi all,
As a part of kitchen remodeling, I removed a soffit that hung from the ceiling.
An image of the wiring that supplies a receptacle and a switch (for a light) is shown below:

The soffit is history. In order to drywall up all the way to the studs and joists, I need to re-route these wires through a combination of studs and joists.

I need some advice here:
It looks like, starting from left, I need to route through holes drilled into joists on either side of the hvac vent that you can see. Then I need to come down via the horizontal studs.

1) This is a load bearing wall. Can I drill a hole through those 2 studs? Is these a better way?
2) The gang box that these wires are feeding into also acts like a junction box for a similar setup 3 feet over. Can I put a junction box on the joist and splice wires inside it to minimize the wires going to the gangbox, and thereby needing a smaller hole in the studs?
3) Would cutting a notch and add a nail plate on be better? (I will put on a nail plate if I drill too.)

I guess my main concern is about drilling a hole into these studs that holding up the house!

Thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-11, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
No problem drilling 1" hole in the studs if they are centered and you only drill a few well spaced. All junction boxes must remain accessible. They can't be buried under Sheetrock. They can be in cabinets if they have an accessible cover plate or in an attic.

Old 08-11-11, 07:11 AM
No issue in drilling a 1" hole in the center of the studs to pass through 2 romex lines. Keep it in the center however to comply with code. You can't bury a junction box in a wall cavity covered in drywall under code unless you want to provide an access cover plate to the box. Not to say that people haven't done this far too many times in the past. Drilling the right size hole in the right place should not be your concern. Burying a junction box should be.

Old 08-11-11, 07:20 AM
Seems like two of us were typing at the same time. Well you will know your questions were answered.

Old 08-11-11, 08:19 AM
Thank you guys. Since this will be under the sheet rock, I will avoid the junction box there. Sticking to code! Now I see why these gang boxes double up as junction boxes for splicing other wires.