Power conversion question - Home project

Old 08-12-11, 10:24 AM
Power conversion question - Home project

Hello,

I live in the US. I'm trying to build a device which uses two thermoelectric cooling units (TEC's). I have an option of buying the same TEC but at different voltage and amperage.

The first one says it uses: Voltage of 12 (VDC), and 4.6 Amps
The second one uses: Voltage of 24 (VDC) and 2.3 Amps

I'm pretty sure I need a power converter of some sort. Since the device I'm building will be using two of either of these what considerations should I take into account?

Any information on what I need to make it so I can just plug this thing into the wall would be great. Considerations for power transformers (assuming I need one), etc etc

Thanks for your help!

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-11, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
TEC's (aka Peltier coolers) are commonly used in computers as CPU coolers and to increase the effectiveness of water cooling (they literally 'pump' heat from one side to the other). Cheap and dirty method would be to scavenge a 300+ watt ATX power supply and jumpstart it (on the motherboard connector connect the green wire to any black wire - through a switch if you like). Then connect the 12v TECs to the drive connectors. Yellow is +, black is -. Use two different 'rails' - a rail is one set of yellow/black/black/red that has several drive connectors on it.

Now not sure if you know or not, but it is very important that you adequately cool the hot side, or else the TEC will burn out. A fan blowing on/across it alone is insufficient. You must install a large finned heat sink with a fan or a water cooling unit.

So what is this project, if you don't mind?

Old 08-12-11, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the reply

I'm essentially making a DIY refrigerator/cooler. There aren't any other electronics aside from a temperature controller which will be used to regulate the TEC's to certain temperatures.

Old 08-12-11, 01:08 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
As I said, the computer PS will be fine for what you're doing. And as long as the hot side of the TEC has adequate cooling they should work fine.