Telephone Jack into Electrical outlet?

Old 01-05-01, 07:31 AM
cbarry
Visiting Guest
Question

We have a den without a phone jack. I would like to install a phone jack in the den, but don't have experience doing this. I saw a kit at the store that turns "any electrical outlet into a phone jack".

Do these really work, or should I pay someone to install a "real" phone jack?

Thanks
CB

Old 01-05-01, 09:14 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by cbarry
We have a den without a phone jack. I would like to install a phone jack in the den, but don't have experience doing this. I saw a kit at the store that turns "any electrical outlet into a phone jack".

Do these really work, or should I pay someone to install a "real" phone jack?

Thanks
CB
I am not familier with this possibility, or heard of such a kit. I personally would recommend running a real telephone cable into the den and install a new phone jack, it is something a regular person could do , if you have a room nearby that does already have a telephone connection, then that can be a source to tap into and wired onto a new phone connector in the den. I really beleive this is the best option and perhaps even the cheaper option, and you can do it yourself. I personally would never use the electrical system for anything except what it was orginal purpose was.
Let me know where your nearest telephone connector is, where the den is located , 1st/2nd floor, and if it is on the 1st floor , does the basement have a finished cealing, (a drywall ceiling or a suspended ceiling), if you need susgestions on how to route it .

Old 01-05-01, 09:22 AM
J
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I am aware of "Baby Monitors" which plug into any receptacle, allowing you to plug the monitor in the baby's room and plug the receiver in whichever room the parent or sitter is hanging out in, permitting one to move around the house at will while junior is sleeping.

A buddy of mine got one of those monitors and althought you can hear the subject adequately there was an inherent (and annoying) buzz present at all times, due to the AC frequency. The same technology must be the basis for this telephone thing. Personally I don't trust it, and agree with dkerr. A phone outlet and phone cable can be had at radio shack for a few bucks, and wiring is really easy. If you're handy at all you can do this yourself.

Juice

Old 01-05-01, 09:32 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
This does not use the electrical system to transmit signals. This is simply a wireless transmitter. I don't know how well they work for an Internet connection, but I suspect they work just fine for a voice connection -- very similar to a cordless phone.

You just plug a transmitter in somewhere where you want a phone jack, and plug a receiver in somewhere where there is a phone jack. It's pretty simple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: