Shorted a wire... What next?

Old 08-14-11, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shorted a wire... What next?

While installing a new vent cover for the microhood exhaust, I screwed into a 12/3 romex that supplied the fridge and microhood. Didn't even realize it till the wife asked if I turned the power off. Crap, I thought- instantly knowing what I did. The breaker had flipped. I went outside, removed the exhaust vent cover and confirmed the romex had been punctured. I wrapped it in electrical tape and reset the circuit. Everything looks ok. No flickering or breaker resetting.

What should I do? Leave it? Cut the wire and put a junction box there? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-11, 05:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes , either replace the entire cable from source or install a Jbox at the break and replace the last part. The Jbox must remain accessable,

Old 08-14-11, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Youíll need about a foot of slack to be able to use a junction box properly. Does the cable have enough? You might have to fish a new cable in to replace it, at least part of it, putting a junction box in a convenient place. Any junction box will have to remain accessible.

As far as leaving it, no, you should repair/replace it properly. You donít want it to possibly start a fire.

Old 08-14-11, 07:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
You should have 6" of free conductor inside the junction box. The part with the damage could be part of the 6". I would repair the damage with heat shrink tubing.