Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I use BX cable (flexible metal) outside basement walls?

Old 08-15-11, 04:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

I am in brooklyn new york. I want to add fixtures outside the ceiling in a basement. I want to know if i can use bx cable as the wiring outside the wall / ceiling to service the new fixtures from existing fixtures that are being fed through conduit. Does the code in new york city allow this? or does this type of cable need to be inside the walls?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-11, 06:18 PM
Group Moderator
BX is no longer sold and has been replaced by AC (armor clad) and MC (metal clad). These new cables are similar to BX but with improved grounding and wire insulation. The NEC allows AC/MC cable to be installed exposed or concealed except areas where it might be subject to physical damage. AC cable may only be installed in dry locations where MC can be installed in dry or damp locations.

As far as being installed in NYC. That I do not know. You will have to wait for somebody else of check the local city office.

Old 08-16-11, 05:41 AM
AC can be used exposed. However, and I'm not sure if the applicability is different in commercial settings, but the pro's always run Conduit when exposed.

Old 08-16-11, 06:12 PM
Group Moderator
I like to run conduit when exposed as I feel it looks better and more professional. Sadly, I see more and more pro's using MC cable for everything, exposed, above ceilings and in wall. It is turning to labor savings than anything else.

Old 08-18-11, 06:43 AM
so i guess i will have to wait. i have no idea who to contact as far as the city. how would find out? who would i call to ask a specific question like this?

Old 08-18-11, 06:52 AM
it's not commercial. its in the basement of a 3 family brownstone private house.

Old 08-18-11, 07:09 AM
Group Moderator
3 family brownstone private house.
The "3 family" probably tips you over any exceptions for residential by owner permit. The permit that would be need probably require an electrician to pull. Surely there is a general city number you can call to find out what department to call. Here it is 311.

Old 08-18-11, 10:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by remodelingstuff View Post
so i guess i will have to wait. i have no idea who to contact as far as the city. how would find out? who would i call to ask a specific question like this?
I'd start here: 311 Online Electrical Wiring Installation Permit

Old 08-20-11, 07:11 PM
needing a permit doesnt answer my question. i just need to know if the code allows exposed ac cable along a basement ceiling.

Old 08-20-11, 07:46 PM
Group Moderator
You need to ask the code enforcement office. Yes, if it was anywhere but NYC. They have many prohibitions that are not in the national code. The pros can quote you NEC but unless they are NYC licensed they probably can't tell you for sure. Only your inspector can.

Old 08-22-11, 10:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I found a PDF with NYC amendments. It's hard to read given the plus/minus format from the national code, but based on my reading of it metallic cables are not allowed outdoors, even if rated for outdoor use by the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by NYC Code
Subsection 330.10(A)(3) – Delete the words “or outdoors.”
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...w_39of2011.pdf

A quick skim of other sections leads me to believe that UF cable, liquidtight, flex, and pvc conduits are also quite limited and probably not allowed in this case.

Old 08-22-11, 10:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think the OP might be asking about running the cable on the surface of the basement walls, not on the outside of the building.

Old 08-22-11, 12:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ahh that could be. I saw "outside" a bunch of times in the OP and thought he meant the exterior basement wall.

Old 08-31-11, 03:43 PM
yes thats exactly what i am asking but i want to run it along the surface of the basement ceiling nothing against the wall if it makes a difference.