Circuit mystery..

Old 08-16-11, 06:55 AM
Circuit mystery..

Last night, my wife plugged in a nightlight in the bathroom, turned it on, the bulb crackled and went poof, and the circuit died.

My house was built in 1968. There aren't any GFCI outlets in the bathroom or anywhere else.

The circuit breaker was not tripped. I tried turning the circuit breaker on and off several times, but to no avail (with force, not just casually flipping the switch). The circuit remains dead. Is it the likely scenario that the circuit breaker is bad?

BTW--thanks in advance for any replies to my query.

Also, if it helps, the circuit breaker is not a GFCI circuit breaker, either.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-11, 07:23 AM
Group Moderator
CBs seldom go bad. First step is to open the receptacle that no longer works. Any backstabbed wires need to be moved to the screws and any wirenuts need to be replaced. Any other receptacles, lights, and switches on the circuit breaker even if they still work need to be checked. The problem could be in a working fixture or device that feeds a non-working device or fixture. Same procedures apply. Any wires inserted in back moved to the screws and wirenuts replaced.

Old 08-16-11, 07:52 AM
Thanks kindly for the reply. It seems weird that of all things, plugging in a nightlight would trigger circuit Armageddon..

Old 08-16-11, 08:11 AM
Group Moderator
Nothing is to weird when electricity is involved. The night light may have shorted internally which in turn overloaded a marginal connection which failed before the circuit breaker could trip.

Old 08-16-11, 08:25 AM
A 68 home would be right in the middle of the Aluminum wire escapade. When you are checking that receptacle, look to see if the exposed end of the wires is silver or copper in color.

Bud

Old 08-16-11, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
...and replace the receptacle with a GFCI while you've got it out. At only $10 it's the best value safety feature you can get for an electrical system, and it's required by law in bathrooms.