Shallow Floor Box?

Old 08-19-11, 09:42 AM
Shallow Floor Box?

I have a floor plug in my dining room floor that protrudes above the subfloor by 1/2". I will be having hardwood installed tomorrow which is only 3/8" thick. Therefore, the box will be 1/8" above the surface of the finished floor. The box is adjustable, but it is in its lowest position. Is there a low profile floor box available on the market, or some other clever way to recess it? I could technically mount a 2x4 from underneath but I'd rather not if there is an easier solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-11, 04:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
All floor boxes I have installed are cut clean through the subflooring and installed flush to the finished floor. What type box are you using?

Old 08-20-11, 03:33 PM
I don't know what type it is. Doesn't matter anymore. I removed the plug and it is now covered up. We didn't need a plug there anyways.

Old 08-20-11, 06:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
I don't know what type it is. Doesn't matter anymore. I removed the plug and it is now covered up. We didn't need a plug there anyways.
You now have two problems. A hidden junction box containing live wires. Floor receptacles are installed to provide meet the receptacle spacing requirements in the code.

Old 08-20-11, 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by pcboss View Post
You now have two problems. A hidden junction box containing live wires. Floor receptacles are installed to provide meet the receptacle spacing requirements in the code.
I certainly agree with the code problem with a hidden junction box, while the receptacle could possibly have been installed to meet code RFID also could've been installed for the convenience of a previous owner. If the latter is the case the OP could just pull the wires from the box to solve the code problem.

Old 08-21-11, 02:57 PM
We don't ever use that plug and the junction box I installed is accessible from the basement. Not concerned with code, just want it to be safe, which it is. If in the future a home inspector notices there is not plug there, then I'll put it back.